Want input on a Red...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
Here's a Red I want to do, but I want a beer that's great, not just good. You ever get that feeling? :D Any input is appreciated; I've never used Victory but it sounds nice to use. What will it add to my beer? Thanks!

Beer: Red Ale Style: American Amber Ale
Type: All grain Size: 5.0 gallons
Color:
31 HCU (~16 SRM)
Bitterness: 44 IBU
OG: 1.055 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.8% v/v (4.6% w/w)

Grain:
8.0 lb. American 2-row
1.0 lb. American crystal 60L
6.0 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
2.0 oz. British black patent
8.0 oz. American victory

Mash: 76% efficiency
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.055 5.0 gallons

Hops:
0.6 oz. Yakima Magnum (12% AA, 60 min.)
0.5 oz. Perle (8% AA, 30 min.)
0.5 oz. Perle (8% AA, 15 min.)
2.0 oz. Centennial (aroma)

Victory will add a nutty, toasty taste. If you've ever toasted your own 2-row, it's fairly similar to that.

I'd substitute some munich (.5 - 2 lbs) for some of the 2-row, and maybe consider dropping the IBUs just a little: your .8 BU/GU ratio is just a bit hgih to allow the richness of your character malts through, IMHO. (I might also consider using 90L or even 120L crystal in place of some of the 60L). I don't like cloyingly sweet reds, but I prefer a slightly richer and maltier take on the style than what you've got here.

But of course you will make the beer the way you want it, not the way I want it.

cweston,

I love the idea of the balanced maltiness. Munich adds a rich malty taste. What will the 90/120 add? I don't want this to come off as an IPA, so I might mash at around 155 F to decrease fermentability. Also, would you drop the IBU's to around 35? I definately want this to come through malty and full, but with enough floral hop balance to really set it off.

1.5 lbs 6-Row Malt
4 lbs Maris Otter
4.5 lbs Munich Malt
4.5 lbs Vienna Malt
0.5 lbs CaraVienna

2 oz American Kent Goldings 4.2 % AA (1.5 oz 75 mins, 0.5 oz 60mins)
1 oz Perle 7.9 % AA (0.5 oz 10 mins, 0.5 oz 2 mins)

I made/modified this recipe. I hope it comes out as and Irish red but i dont know,. I mashed in at 147 and did a single decoction to raise mash temp to 159. The decoction added a beautiful color. Its still in the primary, but with a nice red color, im excited. I used WL004 irish ale yeast.

That's an interesting take on a red..English style :rockin:
I might have to save that one for another day when I get some S-04.

As far as color on my above recipe: will the black patent add a red color or just make it brown(er)?

WhatsOnTap said:
I love the idea of the balanced maltiness. Munich adds a rich malty taste. What will the 90/120 add? I don't want this to come off as an IPA, so I might mash at around 155 F to decrease fermentability. Also, would you drop the IBU's to around 35? I definately want this to come through malty and full, but with enough floral hop balance to really set it off.

Compared to 60L, darker crystals give a darker (duh), more red color, and more of a carmelly/burnt sugar type falvor, IMHO.

I recently made a beer not too different from what you have in mind, only with rye--the recipe is in the fancy new drop down menu below my avatar. I think that beer had an OG around 50 and IBUs around 35. If I made it again, I might reduce the bitterness just a touch, but I've opnly tasted it a couple times--it's still too young to really tell.

IMHO I would drop the black patent and use roasted instead and the amount of IBU's is way out of style (you should top out at about 28) and the 2oz of Centenials will add more aroma then the style calls for . . . but if you like hops and you like the beer thats all that matters :rockin:

9D. Irish Red Ale
Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.

Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan colored head.

Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol warmth in stronger versions.

Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.

Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager (if so, generally will not exhibit a diacetyl character). When served too cold, the roasted character and bitterness may seem more elevated.

Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.

Vital Statistics:OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.044 - 1.060 1.010 - 1.014 17 - 28 9 - 18 4.0 - 6.0%

Pumbaa,

Sorry, I should have specified that I'm making an American Amber that I want to be red in color. I don't want a red IPA, though. Hence, I'm shooting for a malty, balanced beer with floral hop aroma/flavor. I guess I'm wanting to duplicate a "microbrewed" character of maltiness in this beer.

FWIW, I pay a lot of attention to BU/GU ratio in recipe design.

Anything less than .5 is what I personally would consider a very malty and/or sweet beer.

.8 to .9 is what I usually shoot for for beers in the bitter/pale ale/IPA family.

I'd probably shoot for a figure in between there for the kind of beer you're talking about. The recipe I mentioned was 36 IBU and 1.050-- BU/GU = .72

As I said, I might drop that a touch, and target more like the .6 or .65 range.

Okay here's the latest revised edition of it, should I drop the centennial aroma hops to 1 oz or leave it (I can't decide)?:

Beer: Red Ale Style: American Amber Ale
Color:
33 HCU (~16 SRM)

Bitterness: 30 IBU

OG: 1.053 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.5% v/v (4.3% w/w)

Grain:
6.0 lb. American 2-row
2.0 lb. German Munich
8.0 oz. American victory
8 oz. American crystal 120L
6.0 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
2.0 oz. British black patent

Mash: 76% efficiency
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.053 5.0 gallons

Hops:
0.25 oz. Yakima Magnum (12% AA, 60 min.)
0.5 oz. Perle (8% AA, 15 min.)
2.0 oz. Centennial (aroma)

WhatsOnTap said:
Pumbaa,

Sorry, I should have specified that I'm making an American Amber that I want to be red in color. I don't want a red IPA, though. Hence, I'm shooting for a malty, balanced beer with floral hop aroma/flavor. I guess I'm wanting to duplicate a "microbrewed" character of maltiness in this beer.

ahhhh ok then looks good except personally I would use the roasted instead of the black patent

Black Patent Malt 500° 1.026 Provides color and sharp flavor in stouts and porters
Roasted Barley 300° 1.025 Sweet, grainy, coffee flavor and a red to deep brown color. For porters and stouts.

also I personally like 13SRM for my red and think 16SRM is more of a brownish

Okay, here's the Red I did just now (I've got it chilling in the tub as we speak):

Red Brick Ale

Brewer: Indian Lake Brewery
Beer: Red Brick Ale Style: American Amber Ale
Color: 24 HCU (~13 SRM)
Bitterness: 34 IBU
OG: 1.051 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.3% v/v (4.1% w/w)

Grain:
8.0 lb. American 2-row
8.0 oz. American crystal 120L
8.0 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
1.0 oz. British black patent
8.0 oz. American victory
Mash: 73% efficiency

Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.051 5.0 gallons

Hops
0.5 oz. Nugget (12% AA, 60 min.)
1.0 oz. Centennial (aroma)

I think this will be a great beer. It smelled better than any beer I've done so far. I mashed at 155 F to give it some malt character and body, and cut the Centennial finishing hops to 1 oz instead of 2 to let the malt show thru. The Victory grain smells amazing! PS: all you guys with no wort chiller try this - put a sumbersible pump in the tub so you don't have to swirl the water. It will bring 5 gal of beer to 70 F in 1 hour and you can clean the kitchen while you wait. :rockin:

How's the color? I'm thinking of doing a similar red american ale.

Your recipe looks fine. I would sub 2-3# of 2-row with dark munich, and swap the 2oz black for 1oz roasted.

Here is my red recipe. I just tasted it last night and it was excellent.

11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt
0.13 lb Roasted Barley
0.06 lb Chocolate Malt

1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (45 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU

Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004)

abt said:
Your recipe looks fine. I would sub 2-3# of 2-row with dark munich, and swap the 2oz black for 1oz roasted.

Crap! I thought I posted the re-revized version of the revision. I put 2# of Munich in, and 1.5 oz black because I need to get over some issues with roasted grains in red ales (I put 4 oz in a red IPA and it was good, but the flavor was just this side of too much). It's bubbling away now and smells great! I used Safeale US-56 or whatever they're calling it now.

As far as the color, it's a light amber-red (13 SRM).

Back