Dorm brewing troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepper23

Reaction score
So, I've been brewing using the Brew House "All-Grain" kits for a few months now and last night I just bottled my second batch (a cream ale). While my first batch was made off-campus in a house, I am living in a dorm on campus for the summer. I checked the residence contract and it is against the rules to
a) provide alcohol to minors/drink underaged
b) have a keg in residence
c) play drinking games

So last night the people down the hall were using my closet door as a beer-pong table so I had to come and get it when they got caught. When my don walked me back to my room with my door, she noticed my glass carboy sitting on the floor and asked me if it was a keg.

I said no, and explained that it was a fermentation vessel. She says, "I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do this. Isn't it illegal?" and I had to explain to her, "no, it's perfectly legal to brew your own beer."

While I disagree with the rules banning drinking games and kegs for people who are of age, I follow those rules (generally). They don't want people having keggers in their dorm rooms, which is understandable. I just feel like my don doesn't know the difference between a keg and a carboy. She came by later last night to let me know that she wrote up a report about it and submitted it to the Residence Life Coordinator.

As far as I can tell, I haven't done anything wrong. I keep the smell under control, clean up my mess, follow sanitation procedures, and don't distill or sell this beer. I'll be kinda mad if they try to tell me I'm not allowed to brew seeing as it was never mentioned in the residence contract (the rules are quite extensive) and I am bothering NOBODY.

Anybody else have experience brewing in a college dorm/dealing with dons?

Write up a letter explaining, with references, that what you are doing is legal and does not violate campus rules, and complain about the RA being unqualified and overzealous.

I don't want to blow this out of proportion just yet. I'm not actually being formally "written up." I'm only worried about them telling me I can't brew anymore. Since it was bottled last night anyways, they can't really take it away from me. I don't think I'm in "trouble" but I would be annoyed if they made up a new rule for no apparent good reason (which judging from how pointless the no drinking games rule is, it just might happen).

There was a video posted on here (can't seem to find it) where police raided a guys house (albeit finding some pot plants) but confiscated the guy's homebrewing equipment, calling his immersion chiller a still, going on a rant about how doing this can create poison and kill someone. I want to say it was an episode of "Cops". Point is, folks in authority don't always have a clue what they're talking about.

Didn't that guy actually have a whiskey making setup though...and he did have a still...so, in Alabama that is Illegal....in fact...I'm pretty sure distilling is illegal for purposes of consumption pretty much everywhere.

University campuses are full of self-important petty tyrants. I hope it works out for you but it wouldn't surprise me if you were told not to brew anymore. Maybe an off-campus friend will let you brew at their place for the summer.

Wow talk about a type-A personality with that RA. I can just picture some ****** bag saying "I'm just letting you know I wrote you up for violating policy" give me a break.

Luckily, in undergrad I got the cool RA who didn't care if we drank as long as we didn't get too crazy.

IMO don't let this play itself out. You need to be proactive and at least send a letter stating and citing that what you're doing isn't illegal and you are following university policy.

I have sent an email to my don talking about the legalities and health concerns (which are virtually non-existant, as I'm sure HBT is aware of). I asked her in the email if I should send a similar email to the RLC. I'll keep HBT posted!

And for the record, she wasn't pissy about it. All she said was that she's "pretty sure you're not allowed" and that "a report has been made."

EDIT: A second read-through of the residence rules does indeed prohibit brewing in residence. Bummer!

So since it is indeed prohibited in the contract, I guess no amounts of facts will change things. Oh well, 3 more months.

University campuses are full of self-important petty tyrants. I hope it works out for you but it wouldn't surprise me if you were told not to brew anymore. Maybe an off-campus friend will let you brew at their place for the summer.

Osagedsr.... I love your avatar... Did you make it yourself?

Get an apartment or go in together with some friends and rent a house. Dorms can make pretty much whatever rules they want. That's a pretty hilarious bit about them using your door though haha.

I actually got into brewing when I was in college, because we were looking for a way to get around some of the alcohol rules. We catually created a student organization to homebrew, got student activities to provide us funding for equipment, and paid for materials out of pocket. We got a biochemistry professor to be our club sponsor, and we kept the fermenters locked up in one of his labs (equipment too).

usfmikeb said:
I actually got into brewing when I was in college, because we were looking for a way to get around some of the alcohol rules. We catually created a student organization to homebrew, got student activities to provide us funding for equipment, and paid for materials out of pocket. We got a biochemistry professor to be our club sponsor, and we kept the fermenters locked up in one of his labs (equipment too).

My professor taught me how to brew my sophomore year. We would go to his house on Sunday's, brew beer and work on homework

Of course the correct plan of action is to move to Canada, (preferably to the University of Western Ontario), where the drinking age is 19, and brew your heart away.

Back in '92, after a residence clearing fire alarm, I returned to my dorm room to find the Residence Hall Advisor in my room, holding an unopened beer from my fridge, with a questioning look on her face. I said, "Sure, go ahead". She said, "Thanks", popped it, and walked out.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I used to drive down to Michigan and buy a "30" case of Stroh's for $10, but hey, when you're surviving on dorm food you gots to take what you can get.

I only wish I could have experienced these 'problems' back in the day when I was in college. Back then, the main 'issue' I had was hiding my then-girlfriend, now wife, who was living with me in the dorms for about 2 months.

I had thought about brewing while still in college, but for the same issues your having and well generally being a broke college student I held off. About a year out now though and will be brewing batch number three on tuesday.

It surprises me that they actually have something in writing specifically about brewing, but all this reminds me well of the ridiculous rules that dorms sometimes have. My college had a "bulk alcohol" rule that prohibited kegs b/c they "encouraged heavy drinking" -- you couldn't have a keg, but having cases and cases of smaller containers was OK (by the rules); however if you would've poured all those beers into a larger container, it was prohibited. :confused:

If it weren't for the fact that there was a specific clause about brewing, I'd say take them to task...I remember one time when the entire dorm I stayed at was "rounded up" and made to sit in the gathering room while we were essentially interrogated after some a-hole pulled the fire alarm...I refused to stay, and as I left the room I was "arrested" by the campus police. After I filed a well-written report about how they essentially violated my rights (detained without probable cause), the matter mysteriously disappeared...

This is cool, and very appropriate...perhaps the OP can look into something like this!

I only wish I could have experienced these 'problems' back in the day when I was in college. Back then, the main 'issue' I had was hiding my then-girlfriend, now wife, who was living with me in the dorms for about 2 months.

Ah, the sorted lives we led...I was once the hidee, so I can relate!

What did the rule say that prohibited brewing in your dorm? Was it very direct or was it general and it happened to cover brewing?

bummer.

+1 on getting your stuff out of there asap.

And that drinking game rule is pretty funny. I wonder if there are specific rules as to what is proper drinking etiquette as in no beer may be served from a funnel, or through a small hole in the bottom of a can.

My room mate and I have been brewing in our dorm room this semester. We keep the majority of our equipment hidden away in a closet, and try to keep the door closed when we brew or bottle. We have not run into any problems yet, but were pretty careful. (Except when im walking in my towel to the shower with an immersion chiller in a dirty kettle).... Yes. I shower with my pot to clean it after a long day of brewing. Does anyone else brew in-dorm?

Back