Nice Cones!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
Well I guess its that time of year where we show off our crop. Last year I had planted 8 plants (4 Cascade and 4 Golding). This year I added 48 more and 6 more varieties and built a proper trellis.
Here's some pics of my first year Chinooks. I had no idea they got so huge.
harvest4.jpg

harvest31.jpg

harvest21.jpg

Harvest11.jpg

There not that big you just have hands like the guy on the burger king commercial.....Sweet !!!

Pat

48 plants, is that for home use only? At some point you are going to be overwhelmed with hops.

I have a few monster size Cascade cones mixed in with mostly smaller cones on my first year plant. Where yours uniformly large like the first picture or were there just a few freaks? Also what kind of fertilizer did you feed those plants?

Good stuff for sure! And nice cones. I wish that I'd taken a pic. of my first year zues because those cones were the f-ing biggest I've ever seen. If you need to get rid of any of 48 plants worth of hops I'll send you my addy!

I figure when they're mature I will indeed be overwhelmed and looking to sell them. Next year I'm adding another 30.
As for fertilizer I dosed them twice with fish fertilizer and added horse manure over the winter. This winter it will be green compost and chicken manure. lots of water, one gallon every 12 hours on a drip system.
My Cascades have small cones, as did my Norther Brewer. The Goldings, Magnum and Chinooks had great massive cones. The Sterling, Mt Hood, and Willamette were about half way in between.

Before I clicked on this thread I thought it might belong in the Boneyard! I was a bit disappointed but these are still some nice frikin' cones!

Back