Does knox gelatin impart flavor??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
Does anyone know if knox gelatin will impart flavor in a beer? I put gelatin in my kegged IPA after about 2 weeks because I couldn't get rid of the haze. Before the gelatin my beer was absolutely remarkable, now the beer is clear but has a slightly odd taste to it. I can't really pin it down because its so slight but its definately there, the beer is still very good but I'm thinking about parting ways with gelatin if it is actually the problem.

First, are you talking about chill haze? It is usually present between about 36* and 65*. In other words, if you let your beer warm up to 65*-70* does the haze go away? If so, everything I've read says you can use clarifiers with no ill effects. Possibly knocking down the haze, which I believe are proteins and tannins caused a build up in the bottom of the keg and that is what you are tasting. Never say never, but I have used gelatin on several occasions with excellent results. Let us know what you find out. Luck - Dwain

I've actually never done a before and after with gelatin in the same batch of beer. I just threw some in my batch of O'fest about 30 mins ago and now you have me wondering.

Either way I've used Knox in many batches and have never had an off taste that would make me think of the gelatin. Granted it isn't the most pleasant smelling stuff when you're blooming it, but it gets so diluted that I doubt you'd be able to notice.

You said that you added it directly to your keg though, I've never done that, only added it at the end of a really long primary or in secondary.

Are you talking about the first few pints you pulled after adding the gelatin? If so it might go away after a few glasses are drawn off the tap. Otherwise I'm not so sure.

The gelatin will not impart any flavor to your beer. It will speed clarification. For bottlers, it holds residual yeast to the bottom of the bottom and allows a nice pour without worrying about dumping the yeast. I use it all the time. I don't keg.

Back