Cali Common Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good Cali common recipe. Not so much an Anchor clone, but just a good steam beer. I'm brewing full boil extract. Any vets here care to point me in a good direction?

Cheers

I see that you prefer to lager these a bit. I don't currently have the ability to lager properly. I have two questions. The first is what impact on your recipe will not lagering have? The second is does lagering somewhat defeat the purpose or meaning of a steam beer?

I see that you prefer to lager these a bit. I don't currently have the ability to lager properly. I have two questions. The first is what impact on your recipe will not lagering have? The second is does lagering somewhat defeat the purpose or meaning of a steam beer?

Lagering just really smooths out the flavor. The beer will be fine without it. A steam beer is an ale fermented with lager yeast. Cold conditioning it just makes it taste smoother, and clears it more so it's crystal clear.

Lagering just really smooths out the flavor. The beer will be fine without it. A steam beer is an ale fermented with lager yeast. Cold conditioning it just makes it taste smoother, and clears it more so it's crystal clear.

Okay. Are there any other characteristics of a steam beer to be aware of? What I mean is maybe a certain amount of maltiness or hop forwardness that blend with the fermentation temp of the lager yeast? Maybe my question is, I understand fermentation temps and their effects on regular ales, but what is the base characteristic of fermenting lager yeast at ale temps?

Thanks for your help. I'm looking to understand a bit more about what makes a cali common recipe good verse not so much.

Back