5 gallon or 10 gallon round cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between a 5 and 10 gallon MLT. Should I really be concerned about dead space in the MLT?

No, don't worry about deadspace. Get the 10 gallon. If you want to do all-grain, you will need to have one bigger than 5 gallons.

Don't forget that you will have a false bottom, plus you are going to have a bunch of grains, plus water in there.

Go for the 10- it will give you the flexibility to both BIG 5 gallon batches and moderate sized 10 gallon batches. With a 5 gallon cooler, your max grain bill will be about 15# if you do a thick (1 qt/lb) mash. If you are concerned about dead space and temperature loss, a two-inch thick piece of foam insulation laid on top of the grain bed will give you rock-solid temperature stability, IME.

Something like this:

Dec11003.jpg

Surely go for the 10 gallon, you won't regret it, I think the home depot 10 gallon is 39.99, well that's what I paid anyways last winter.

Go for the 10 Gallon Cooler. I started with a five and quickly ended up upgrading to the ten. More room for large grain bills, and mash out if you want to do one.

Back