"Who are these Long Beards?" Vanilla Metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Odinsson

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP720 liquid yeast
Yeast Starter: 1 day with some honey and water
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.096
Final Gravity: ??
Boiling Time (Minutes): none
Color: golden
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
Additional Fermentation:
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):

So I just brewed this up a couple of days ago. It smells really great and I can't wait for it to be done. I used 13lbs of Tupelo honey, in the starter I used 1/3 cup of honey with 2 cups of warm water and pitched the liquid yeast into that the day before. I only heated up a little over a gallon of water to dissolve the 13lbs of honey and then put that into a carboy with 2 gallons of cool water to bring the temp down to pitch the starter. I aerated the must w/o the yeast in it really good by rolling the carboy around with a stopper in it and it was pretty foamy then, I scrapped away some of it when I pitched the yeast and then shook it pretty well after that. I added 3tsp of a yeast nutrient then. I put the airlock on it and its doing about 2-3 blips a sec right now. In about a month I plan on adding probably 5 8in vanilla beans halfed and split down the middle. If that ends up being too much I will add some oak chips, kind tbd, to mellow out the vanilla.

Looks good, and Welcome to HBT. I think that you mis typed your OG. It should be around 1.090 1.095 with 13# in a 5 gallon batch.
As for using the oak...I'd definitely recommend it, but it will not mellow the Vanilla, It will intensify it. The vanilla will mellow on it's own in no time, in fact, it will become almost non noticeable as vanilla within a few years.

Ok so this is my first time really getting technical about the meads but with that SG my 1/3 break would be at 1.064 correct?

Back