First Mini Mash, Got a Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I will be brewing my first mini mash. Looking forward to it as it is a step towards my goal of an ALl Grain Brew. I have a question though as far as bringing the grains up to temo. Should I soak the grains with cold water and bring them up to temp slowly? Or should I bring my water up to 150, then add the grains? After this point, I am going to simply put my kettle into the overn at 150 for 90 minutes, then sparge.

I've heard techniques detailing both methods, but what most ag'ers do, and what should work for you, is to heat your water up to probably 155-160F and then add your grains which will lower the temp to 150F (you may need to make minor modifications to the temperature). It depends on how much water and grains you're using, but that should be ballpark. Also, I imagine 60 minutes in the oven would more than do it...

Bring your water up to 165-170F and add the grain. Since the grain is at room temperature, it will cool the mash down to the target of 152-154F. 60 minutes is plenty, most grains will convert in 20 minutes or so, but unless you want to do starch testing go with 60.

The recipe I am using is out of "Beer Captured". Great book that I just discovered. Wish I would have found this book about 10 years ago. Anywho, in the Mini Mash instructions, it calls for a 90 minute mash at 150. Just talked to a buddy of mine who is an AG brewer, and he also said that 60 minutes is plenty. So, 60 it is. Thanks to the above 2 posts for all the help with this mini mash. The brewing starts at about 1400. BREW ON!!!:ban:

Oh yeah. The recipe I will be using is on Page 98, Lucknow IPA. The home brewery is from my home state, so I am anxious to see how it turns out.

the only thing i would add is that youre strike temp should be at least 10 degrees higher than the temp at which your going to mash, after mixing in the grain really well its gonna drop at least that much. its easier to drop the temp than it is to raise the temp, so i would heat the h20 to 165-168, and then add the grains.

and dont fret over getting the exact temp, as long as it stabilizes around 150F, give or take a few degrees, youll be allright. brewing is more 'art' than 'science'...

60 min. is fine, i usually do a 2-step mash, (30 min @ 130, 60 min. @ 150),
some breweries do as long as 2.5 hour mashes, but then again they have nothing better to do but brew...i just wouldnt go less than 60 min...

:rockin: Had a thermomter in the mash tun during the mash. my oven is 5-6 degrees off. So, I held the mash at around 150 for 90 minutes, then I lautered the mash with 1 gallon of water at 170ish(more around 168), then I did it again with another gallon of water around 168. What an experience!!! My kitchen smelled like my buddies garage does when he AG brews.

I can not wait until my AG system is up and running. Money wise, it may be about 3 more months. Until then, my Mini Mash is the way to go. I took my sweet wort from the mash, brought it to boil, then added my Malt extracts and hops and went from thier. Looking forward to this one as it is a Lucknow IPA.:drunk:

So, all in all, after 7-8 homebrewed Stouts, a Bock is my next batch. Off to night nights land mah fellow homebrewers. Keep the brewing lamp lit whilst I rest. :mug:

Ivan Lendl said:
60 min. is fine, i usually do a 2-step mash, (30 min @ 130, 60 min. @ 150),
some breweries do as long as 2.5 hour mashes, but then again they have nothing better to do but brew...i just wouldnt go less than 60 min...

One thing to keep in mind, when mashing at a temperature where both amylases are active, that the maltose to dextrin ratio is determined by the temperature and the duration of the mash. The longer the mashing time, the dryer the beer will be. If you mash at 153F for 60 min you will have more body than mashing at the same temp for 90 min or longer.

Kai

Back