Howto babysit your beer from work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNOmar

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm not sure if anyone has done this before (or had the need/nerdyness).
I had a bit of an incident last night with the lid of my fermenter blowing off with 10 mins left in the Superbowl. :eek: I brewed Sunday morning and noticed an unusually strong fermentation taking place, but it wasn't until late that I needed to rig up a blowoff. I left the blowoff on all day Monday, but when I returned home I noticed that it had slowed to 6-10 bubbles per minute. Seeing as how I jerry-rigged the blowoff with duct tape, some tubing and a grolsh bottle filled with cheap vodka I decided to replace the airlock and just "keep an eye on it." Now comes the interesting part. How do I monitor it from work? Why the Fermentation-Cam of course!
Now in the event of another fermentor explosion I can call someone (or leave work early ;) )

And yes I know the webpage isn't pretty. The cam I had floating around wasn't compatible with linux so I had to resort to windows and the software I found doesn't allow you to alter the page for a live stream.

I just got the thing set up about an hour ago so it will prove it's worth in the next couple of days. I work in the IT field so I can check it as often as I want. Which means I'll be checking every 30 mins...

That's pretty cool. I sort of had to tear myself away. If there were a tv channel of a slowly bubbling airlock, I bet I'd watch it. Very sad. Especially considering I can watch tham live in my own home. Very sad.

It's back up. I had to make some adjustments to the "Broadcast Room."
Now broadcasting current temp!

not a bad idea!!

Wouldn't help me much though - I work an hour and fifteen minutes from home!!

Robbie

That's cool UNOmar! When i'm at work i just have a framed picture of my carboy on the desk to remember my priorities in life....:D

Latest posts

Back