What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned bottles. Man, I am finally getting a lot of bottles. Just a couple months ago I had none. I now probably have 75ish. Not a huge amount but I am planning to make it to where I'll probably do each batch 1/2 beer bottles/ 1/2 soda bottles, so it will allow me at any given time to have 3 types of brews bottled.

Cleaned bottles. Man, I am finally getting a lot of bottles. Just a couple months ago I had none. I now probably have 75ish. Not a huge amount but I am planning to make it to where I'll probably do each batch 1/2 beer bottles/ 1/2 soda bottles, so it will allow me at any given time to have 3 types of brews bottled.

I'm with ya man, I HATE bottling, but until I can afford to get a regulator kit and some kegs, I'm pretty much right with you there! Luckily I had a bunch of bottles from my Dad and I's stash from years ago, but it has been a real beer(BEAR) getting some of them cleaned!

I bottled 21 bottles of a Cascade-heavy rye pale ale tonight, then swirled around the last 5-6 ounces of beer & dumped the yeast slurry out into a jar for later use.

Spent time reading on this forum since I am a cpa in midst of tax season and have to live vicariously through all of you for a couple more months until I can brew again. :mug:

Make sure to check the for sale forum. Thete is a thread there for free bottles.

Even better, have where you live in your profile and anyone who reads your prior post can contact you if they have bottles to spare.

I have a few cases I can spare but I have no idea where you live.

I upgraded my brew pump, I have had the manifold just added the six 1/2" ball valves to make my process easier.

IMG_20160220_163411_158.jpg

Manafold upgrade.jpg

I thought about this bulging bottle cap long enough that I ran home and put a bunch of bottles in the fridge before they explode. Probably gonna vent them tomorrow.

I got a bottle of Miller High Life (The Champagne of Beers!), poured off about an ounce, then stuffed 6-7 cones of the experimental hops in there I got from aprichman, & capped it back up. I will let it warm up overnight, sit all day & into the evening tomorrow, then put it in the fridge tomorrow night to chill it for tasting the next day. This should give me some idea of their taste & aroma!

I started a pretty respectable yeast bank last year and it's at the point where some of them need to be re-slanted, so I made my first attempt at that. And started the first step of a starter with the same yeast for this weekend's brewday.

And I kegged my Vienna lager and started lagering it. When it got down to lager temp, I hit it with some gelatin.

Finally had time to get some work done on my 4-tap keezer build. Coming along nicely! Struggled with whether to paint the collar chalkboard black (to list what's on tap) or let the natural beauty of the wood come through with a stain. Nature won.

IMG_2160.JPG

image1.JPG

Ok, so it was yesterday, but I stopped by the LHBS for supplies for a double RyePA. And then I sat in traffic for 45 minutes. The things I do for this hobby...

Brewed a Rye/Oat/Wheat Blonde Ale and used a new mashing technique. Mashed in a bottling bucket with a BIAB, used spigot to drain first runnings and sparge. Worked like a charm, drainage went really well even with a potentially sticky grist. Got 73% efficiency and I think I'll get higher numbers as I use this method more. Ultimately, I find it easier than standard BIAB because you barely even need to lift the bag. It's also dirt cheap. :tank:

Seems to me I saw vids about this on an Australian forum?

If you're referring to the mashing thing, I wouldn't be surprised if others have done this before. It works really, really well and it involves equipment I already had, though I'll get another bottling bucket for actual bottling because of the lacto infection risk.

I'm currently enjoying my first ever homebrew, the AG Malty Brown Ale kit from MoreBeer. I made some boneheaded moves on brew day and was worried about contamination but heeded RDWHAHB mentality and the beer turned out great. I overshot my OG by a large number of points and I directly attribute it to the fine flour grist churned out by my Monster Mill. The recipe assumed 70% efficiency and I calculated 90% based on Palmer. Being my first brew I had no baseline. It was kegged on 14FEB and has been conditioning nicely. 7.1% ABV with a pillowy white head and nutty maltiness with hints of dark fruits; little hop prescence. Excited to be a homebrewer and the itchy bug has me hankering to brew more. Will absolutely require more kegs and Perlicks for the homemade kegerator. Cheers HBT, thanks for the great knowledge base.
-Aeroshock of Hayden Brewhouse

image.jpg

Today I'm gravity testing my house porter and two brand new recipes brewed with Mangrove Jack's UK dark ale yeast. Fingers crossed I hit 60%+ attenuation!

I may also make some dark belgian candi sugar

I put a new floor in the bar room, and brought a new love seat to go on it. I am unable to post photos to here from my phone.

Back