Using a Fermwrap all by itself!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taygel

Reaction score
Has anyone used a fermwrap on its own? What can i expect if i leave it on? 5 or 10 degree increase? More 10 to 20? I'm brewing a saison and would like to get into the 80's or even 90's! Ambient temp in my room is 71.

Cheers!

Don't do that!!!!!!

I use my fermwrap with a Johnson Digital Controller. It is your only option. Before I owned a carboy cap thermowell, I used to just make a little pocket out of a few layers of bubble wrap, tape the pocket to the carboy, and tuck the probe into the pocket.

Once, the pocket failed, and the tape released from the side of the carboy. The fermwrap continued to fire because the probe was just reading the ambient temperature of my cold garage. I caught it less than 24 hours after it happened, but before I intervened, the carboy reached about 98/99 degrees F.

It was the worst beer I made, but I think the worms still enjoyed it. Do not underestimate the heat those things can put out. I think they are the best tool for temperature control, but they need to be controlled.

Joe

If you can leave it on till you get to the temperature that you want then take off and tape only the last 6" or so onto the carboy and insulate the remainder of the film between the fermwrap and the carboy with a small towel then watch the temperature to see which way it goes .Tape 2" more to the carboy or remove 2".If your room temp is constant you can get it pretty close to what you want. ANYWAY go buy a temp control and use that next time.They are just a great tool.

You need something to control the temp. I forgot to insert my temp probe and the wort got to 109 degrees.

Ya woke up and saw all your posts, went and checked it after leaving it on all night and it felt warm to my touch. So pretty warm...oooops. Sooo plan B is wrapping a towel around it and placing a temperature control unit in between the carboy and towel and then wrapping the ferwrap around all that. I know that it will only let the ferwrap heat up to 80 then turn off.

You need something to control the temp. I forgot to insert my temp probe and the wort got to 109 degrees.

This morning I left my heating pad on the fermentation vessels. It checked in at 75F. They were at 67F. Luckily they were on the path heading to 75F anyways to finish primary (Wyeast 3787 & 3463) so I'm not too worried.

Luckily I'll be getting this cheap temp controller to take care of it in the future so the whole process will be much more hands off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back