Grist ratio, Mash Temp, Fermentability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpeterseufl

Reaction score
Here's what seems like a convoluted question. My last few beers have attenuated more than I had in mind. I have heard that a smaller grist ratio, like 1.25 pounds per quart, give more body and less of a dry beer. When I lowered my grist ratio, I seem to have a harder time maintaining mash temperature, a result of having less mass, I would guess. The lower temperature no doubt leads to a more fermentable wort. So what should I do? I don't want all my beers to finish at 1.010 or lower.

The best suggestion I can give you is to mash at higher temps. What type of system are you using for mashes? You may need to insulate a bit better. I use a 1.25 quarts/lb of grain ratio and still make plenty of nice full bodied beers.

My other suggestion would be to try some lower attenuating yeasts.

Kaiser has some technical analysis of grist ratio's effect on fermentability, but at the end of the day it is really all about mash temperature. I don't know what you were using before, but changing to 1.25 quarts per pound (not pounds per quart, right?) won't cause the kind of change you are looking for. If you want less attenuation from your beer, especially if you are still getting your system dialed in, bump up your mash temp by a few degrees.

you might want to think about changing yeast strands too. some strands are notorious for attenuating like crazy. if i mash at 155 with 1.25 qt/lbs wlp001 will still knock my f.g. down to around 1.012. see if you can find a less attenuative strain that will offer you the same flavor profile you are looking for.

When my FG is low, it's usually because I had trouble maintaining my mash temp. If you shoot for 152 and over the hour you end up with 148 your wort will be more fermentatble. Work on your method to keep your mash temps consistent and make sure your thermometer is accurate. One of the main reasons I changed my brewery and built a RIMS system.

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure the cooler I use is too big for the small batches I make. I wonder if the air in the cooler makes it harder to maintain my temperature. But it apparently has nothing to do with grist ratio (whichever way it goes!)?

Yeah, I'm having this same problem. Just started AG, and have done 3 batches in a relatively short amount of time. All 3 finished at 1.010! They all pretty much just got carbonated in the bottles, and it's very thin beer, not really what I was hoping for at all.
I believe it's a combination of brewing in the cold garage during the winter, a poorly insulated 48qt coleman cooler (one of these http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41STdBLxlNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg)with a small grain bill, and a not very accurate thermometer.
I just got some $ to invest, so I got one of these thermometers http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html, and will be going to Home Depot to get a 10 gallon round cooler and convert that to my mash tun since so many others seem to have success with those on these threads. I figure it has to be a low mash temp, because when I'm done with the mash and I check the temp, it has dropped down to about 147 or so. Also, thinking of putting the therm in the cooler like this http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/02/15/add-thermometer-probe-to-hlt-mlt-cooler/. Good luck with future brews! :rockin:

Back