Keg or fermentation Heater, yes Heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
So I lost my garage and keg fridge in a move and want to tinker a bit. I have all my keg equipment and was hoping to still keg during the cold months. My plan is to create a keg box out of 2" rigid foam board. My winter temps are:

January hi 42 low 15 mean 28
February hi 45 low 17 mean 32
March hi 49 low 21 mean 35
April hi 57 low 26 mean 42

I found some low cost temp controls and want to see if this seems plausible. I would create a sealed box out of 2 inch rigid foam, achieving an R-value of around R-9. May add 1/2 polyiso with foil facing out for an additional R3.5 and reflective properties for sunny northern Arizona.

To avoid freezing, I found a temp controlled 3 prong outlet called the Honeywell TI062. $25-$35 It has the option of temperature control for the plug activation. One setting is anytime it gets below 37 degrees. It will turn on until 3 degrees above that, so 40 degrees. Kind of a cool timer as you can use temp, timer or light sensor. I assume my temp will be 37-40 at night...and creep up to maybe 45 during the day but I have not done heat loss calculations, just a guess.

The heat source would be a ceramic reptile heat emitter $20 with a screw in receptacle that plugs into unit.

I figured on the ceramic heater in case I wanted to use it for fermentation also.

I get the foam for free, so total would be $50. What do you all think? Any other easy I ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back