$16 Barleywine...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local pub sells DFH 120 in bottle for $20 and has DeuS for $47. Of course, they also have Pliny for $6.50 a glass and a lot of other very nice beers. They just added Lucifer and Nostradamus and also have lot of nice events as well.

DFH 120 for $20 per bottle? Now that is way overpriced!

i picked up a 750ml bottle of Pelican Brewery Saison for $16 seemed pretty spendy for me.

For my birthday last week, I had a 10oz bottle of Old Ale aged 16yrs in Scotch Barrels. Ran me $14. They had a 20yr for $20 bucks, and a 1990 English Barleywine for about the same price.
The thing with wine is when they bring you the bottle and pour the taste and its bad, they (should) take the bottle away. Would they do that for a 20 year Barley Wine?

The thing with wine is when they bring you the bottle and pour the taste and its bad, they (should) take the bottle away. Would they do that for a 20 year Barley Wine?

The place I frequent, they would probably sample it, and if the brew had turned, they would take it away, just like a wine...that shouldn't change.

ever picked up anything from russian river? I don't even think you can get a 375ml bottle for $16...

Really? I am pretty sure I pad $18 for 750 of consecration in January.

Pliny and Blind Pig are 500 ml for around $5.

FFF's Behemoth is about $17 per 22oz bottle. Worth every penny.

As are all the RRB weird, funky, wild, sour beers. I pay roughly $24 to get those shipped to me. Temptation is to die for.

for me that is a fair bit, but nowadays when i do go out for beer i always try to have something new and unavailable at the store. i think of getting drunk as zimurgy research now

Unfortunately, even cheap wine can be very overpriced. I was in Canada this summer and stayed at an upscale resort in Quebec. They had many fine dining choices, but in their "pub" restaurant they had some bottles of wine regular sold in my home town of Chicago in a grocery store for $9 and they were charging $56. Guess no one in that area recognized the wine, but I immediately felt like they were trying to rape me.

Here in Chicago I can get a DFH 120 minute for 10 bucks. At three floyds
brew Pub they are selling a bottle of Stone Vertical epic 2003 for $200.00!!!

Now that's some fancy Sh*t! :D

Seeing as to how that beer cost about $5 to produce that sounds about right. You have to take the 30/30/30 rule into account. On Average, and I stress average because itdiffers from area to area, the brewery marks their cost up 30% when they sell to the distributor, the distributor marks it up 30% when they sell to the resturaunts or beer store, and you and I pay the 30% price they marked up from the distributor.

I paid $16 for a Great Divide Barrel Aged Yeti at Stone this weekend, and $25 for a Geuze. I also bought a $30 6 pack of SN Bigfoot (93, 94, 97, 98, 01, 04)....Consecration was $20-20 when it was in the 750ml. Good beer is worth paying for.

If you can brew beer that's better than the best beers in the world? Well, maybe you've got a business opportunity there. ;)

If it's a great barleywine, it should be priced accordingly. Perhaps $16 is a bargain. We are trying (I hope!) to promote beer as a beverage every bit as enjoyable, nuanced, and sophisticated as any wine or liquor. I wear BA's t-shirt that says: "Respect Beer." Nothing says respect in this culture like a respectable price.

My friend and co-worker bought a 12 oz. bottle of that weasel **** beer (Mikkeller Coffee Stout or whatever it is called) for $26. Angel's Share is something like $22 for a 12 oz. as well.

As long as it tastes good, I'll pay it. Will a Ferrari and a Honda Civic still drive on the highway at 65 mph? Yes, but what will you have more fun driving?

Unfortunately, even cheap wine can be very overpriced. I was in Canada this summer and stayed at an upscale resort in Quebec. They had many fine dining choices, but in their "pub" restaurant they had some bottles of wine regular sold in my home town of Chicago in a grocery store for $9 and they were charging $56. Guess no one in that area recognized the wine, but I immediately felt like they were trying to rape me.

Overpriced, but it's an import at that point. I just moved back to the USA after living in Germany for 4 years. Beer is generally cheaper than Pepsi in restaurants over there. Common, mass-produced stuff that would cost less than a dollar per bottle (500ml) over there I see getting sold in supermarkets here for $5-6 a bottle! I won't pay that much for them, because they're not that special to me, but you see people paying that much for imports all the time. I don't have a problem paying for Belgians, though.

I've paid 25 euros for a 33cl (12oz, I think) bottle of great danish Imperial Stout without blinking. The beer was so worth it! Too bad I can't remember its name right now..

i paid $18 at a restaurant for a bottle of bitches brew. it was definitely good, and i don't regret buying it, but it wasn't 18 dollars good.

I regularly pay more then 20 dollars for bombers of certain sours from cantillon. I love sour beers mmmmmmm

My friend and co-worker bought a 12 oz. bottle of that weasel **** beer (Mikkeller Coffee Stout or whatever it is called) for $26. Angel's Share is something like $22 for a 12 oz. as well.

As long as it tastes good, I'll pay it. Will a Ferrari and a Honda Civic still drive on the highway at 65 mph? Yes, but what will you have more fun driving?

.......i'll have fun driving that nasty v-tec homeboy. j/k. but seriously, with gas prices now, i wouldn't have any fun driving the ferrari and watching the cash drain out of my bank account via the fuel gage.

That makes me feel like a thief for paying only $3.75 for a 2009 Left Hand Widdershins oak aged barleywine at a brewpub.

Back