Tell me that my beer is not completely ruined (I know it is..)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibb

Reaction score
So a friend and I were brewing - I was showing him how to do full grain - and we started drinking when we started brewing. Long story short - we got kinda tipsy (i know bad idea) and I told him to pour some spring water into a pot and start to heat it up so we can start to batch sparge. Thing is, the jug he used was the one we had put sanatized water in. It was a whole gallon of water that had been treated with PBW... and it was brought to a boil and put in the mash tun and than into the kettle before we realized what he had done. So now my beer has sanatizer in it... i'm pretty sure it is ruined but has anyone ever experienced something like this? Any idea if it's going to be harmful?

PBW isn't usually used as a sanitizer, a cleaner yes but a sanitizer not usually. PBW stands for Powdered Brewery Wash. Are you sure that's what was added and not StarSan?

I'm pretty sure that PBW would be a bad thing in a beer, but Starsan might be OK depending on how concentrated.

Very interesting!! Did you at least pitch the yeast??

I'm very curious on how this will turn out.

Honestly, my feeling is that it might be o.k. You brought it to a boil, and added only a gallon to the mix. It may, just may, be o.k.

Here's hoping it will. Either way keep us posted.

Sorry to say, this is a dumper.

Sodium Metasilicate MSDS

Potential Acute Health Effects:
Very hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive), of eye contact (corrosive). The amount of tissue damage depends on length of contact. Eye contact can result in corneal damage or blindness. Skin contact can produce inflammation and blistering. Inhalation of dust will produce irritation to gastro-intestinal or respiratory tract, characterized by burning, sneezing and coughing. Severe over-exposure can produce lung damage, choking,unconsciousness or death. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by redness, watering, and itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening, or, occasionally, blistering.

None of those side-effects are anything I'd want to experience from drinking beer.

I'd suggest labeling your cleaners next time. Maybe lock them up when you've got that guy over next time, too...

None of those side-effects are anything I'd want to experience from drinking beer.

I'd suggest labeling your cleaners next time. Maybe lock them up when you've got that guy over next time, too...

+1 label bottles is always a must.

You are a candidate for sober brewing only.

Find a non drinking brew partner.

If by "sanitizer" you meant sanitizer aka StarSan, then you're fine.

If by "sanitizer" you really meant PBW, then you should know that PBW is a clear, not a sanitizer, and you need both a cleaner and sanitizer to do a thorough job of cleaning your equipment.

Your beer probably actually is ruined if you put PBW in it. The MSDS referenced above is mostly concerned with vapors/mists of concentrations far higher than 1 scoop in 5 gallons, and most of that *probably* decomposed over the course of the two boils you did on it, but even discounting the health risk, there's a high likelihood that your sparge extracted excessive tannins- you were putting an alkali solution into your mash.

If you get that tipsey, it time to swear off brewing.. Go straight to AA.. and do not collect $200.00

Just dump it, then chalk one up to the do not do list

I work in the chemical industry. Dump it. Do not, I repeat DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, drink that beer. Silicates are NOT something you want in your system.

Next time you're going to be drinking and brewing, put all your cleaning products away until you're done with the sensitive bits of the process.

But seriously. Dump the batch. It's contaminated beyond hope. FUBAR. Kaput. Toxic. We all have to dump a batch now and again, for varying reasons. Your time has come. It's painful, but this is not something to screw around with.

Back