Small Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranus

Reaction score
I want to go all grain with my next batch but I've decided that I'd like to do more small batches( 2.5-3 gallons). My reasoning behind this is that I have a nearly unlimited supply of 4-5gallon buckets (girlfriend works at the campus bakery) and I'd rather have a variety of beers than a large supply of a couple. Now I know that it takes the same amount of work to do a 5 gallon batch, but I enjoy the proccess and with all the extra batches I'll be doing I ought to get better at it quicker eh? Anywho my question is if a 5 gallon cylinder cooler with steel braid will be too big for 2-3 gallon brews. Also if my logic is totally off anywhere I'm always looking for advice. Thanks

The 5 gallon cooler will work fine. Especially if you want to try something that would be out of range for the 5 gallon setup. My barleywine, imperial stout and doppelbock are all 3 gallon recipes beacuse I would have needed a bigger mash tun otherwise. The 5 gallon cooler will be fine and if you want to do a normal gravity 5 gallon brew it will still work.

That's what I use for my 3 gal batches and you shouldn't have any problems. I too like to make smaller batches for the same reason you stated.
Good luck

Back