Ever had Pickled Hop Shoots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah they've got those at Naked City in Seattle. Had some the other night, pretty good but tasted like just about anything else that's pickled.

I live in the Yakima valley and we have tons of aspergas, why would we waste our hops on this? Risomes are excellant but since we don't grow as much as we as we should ,stick with aspergras. when I was growing up there was hops from the Tri-Cities to Yakima. both crops are great,but let's put the crops where they belong. If you want to eat hops, go for it. I want to eat aspergras and brew with my hops. IMHO.

STRICK58:mug:

I live in the Yakima valley and we have tons of aspergas, why would we waste our hops on this? Risomes are excellant but since we don't grow as much as we as we should ,stick with aspergras. when I was growing up there was hops from the Tri-Cities to Yakima. both crops are great,but let's put the crops where they belong. If you want to eat hops, go for it. I want to eat aspergras and brew with my hops. IMHO.

STRICK58:mug:

These are pickled hop sprouts, not the cones (used in beer). farms have to prune off the majority of the sprouts each year, so more nutrients are directed toward cone growth. So they have a bunch of sprouts which apparently are trying to get a new revenue stream going.

Never had them... but last year at Oregon Brewers Festival (maybe this year too, didn't go) Dave from Freshops.com had a booth with hop candy. I'm not sure how he made them but they looked kind of like those hard yellow lemon drop candies (broken into tiny pieces) but were hop flavored. He had about 6 or more different hop varieties and they were pretty tasty.

Back