So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be racking a Blonde Ale into secondary onto fresh strawberries, and will attempt to brew a Scottish 60 Shilling Ale.

Doing an altbier tomorrow or Sunday. This will be the first in a three-week, one-batch-per-weekend stretch.

After getting the September issue of BYO- 20th anniversary edition, I wish I was! Pre-prohibition lager, English IPA's, old & new, and lots of good info on a lot of brewing stuff, including o2 barrier caps. Got the itch to brew again on a cold morning here in NE Ohio...:ban:

Not brewing quite yet as I haven't gotten it all together but I am conditioning my new kettle while enjoying a Sculpin grapefruit IPA! Think I'll add a couple ears of corn too.

image.jpg

LHBS extract Heady Nugs as soon as I get my boat trailer tire fixed.
I have everything I need to do my 2nd all grain batch, but I haven't wrapped my head around water chemistry yet.
If I'd read the books SWMBO bought me for Xmas I'm sure I'd be ahead...

Double brew day today. BIAB back to back. Mashed one and then mashed the other while boiling the first. Very hectic and I under shot gravity on both beers. First time since I started brewing that I undershot. Oh well they will both be 5-5.5abv when said and done.
Did a Irish red ale and a Rye IPA with Centennial and Amarillo in it.

Brewed my First 10Gal batch last night with a friend and its good he was here to help assist!
The Hot Break we had to stir and also lift up kettle to settle so no boil over,that was fun.
Then the Biab lift,had to hoist up 20lbs wet and tie off on my Gazebo but made it work and its split into 2 fermenters one with Us05 other with 34/70..

Brewed a Cigar City Maduro clone today, went well. Took a bit longer than usual but was working on the new Grainfather system and anything new takes adjustment.

Dave

Brewed first 10gal batch - Sculpin IPA clone. Gonna add zest & juice of grapefruit to one 5 gal bucket and leave the other alone. Went well for most part, def took longer than expected thanks to huge grain bill (27lbs) and new process...but nice to have two 5 gal buckets bubbling away once all said and done!

Gonna be brewing either a blonde or a cream ale. One of those will be treated to a handful of jalapeños for additional heat.

Just read an article that said people who have spicy foods/drinks twice a week live longer.

Well, no time for beer these next few weekends. We are officially in WINE SEASON. (somehow I'm sure I'll find a way to brew a batch in the next couple weeks)

I get questions from people all the time about how home winemakers can get access to what they need to dip their toe in the wine world...thus I've launched a blog to document the adventure in 2015.

I'd love to hear your feedback!

http://epicnormallife.com/day-1-barbera-harvest-and-crush/

Chris

brewed a pumpkin ale last week, brewing up a gingerbread stout this weekend. Gotta get that holiday prep out of the way.

Well, I managed to get my "Mowing Mt. Ranier" lawnmower cherry ale with Citra hops transferred to tertiary to clear. Looks good, but over the last 48 hours, It has developed a "skin" on the surface. I'll transfer to a bottling bucket as carefully as I can, and hope for the best after I bottle it.

I started my second wine tonight, 11 pounds of blueberries that had been purchased and frozen at the peak of their season, plus 3 pounds of wild, foraged muscadine grapes. I'll be using Montrachet yeast.

IMG_20150821_195325020.jpg

IMG_20150824_212817328.jpg

Haven't brewed in over a month due to travelling for various family engagements, then studying for the GMAT, then taking the GMAT. I finally bottled a wheat saison last night that'd been sitting for almost 6 weeks (3724 with a heating pad, so nothing was hurt). But now I start 70 days of hell at work (should be getting 1-2 days off every 2 weeks), so no brewing for me until early November. I plan to take off a week once everything is lined out at work, maybe knock out 2-3 beers in a week. If my first year chinook hops actually turn out to produce something of use, I will probably use them in an American Brown. Then I want to get some dark and heavy beers ready for Christmas (thinking a dry stout and maybe a Belgian strong), plus my sour carboy will need to be drained and the cake reused at that time.

I'm brewing my favorite robust porter recipe. It needs to age a while, so I figure it'll be ready around Thanksgiving or maybe Christmas.

I need to flip a coin. I have recipes and ingredients for either a Cascadian Dark wheat or Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde... Decisions, decisions!

I'm going to brew one last batch in my apartment that I have until the end of the month. This will be my last 2.5 gallon batch and will be batch #24. Batch #25 will be a 5 gallon batch at my new place using my new AMCYL kettle and a Blichmann burner. :)

For my last 2.5 gallon batch I'm doing a hop forward beer with 100% marris otter & warrior (bittering) hops combined with citra, mosaic, and cascade for later additions, hop stand, and dry hop. Will probably ferment with Wyeast American Ale but maybe I'll mix it up and use an English yeast - any thoughts?

Getting ready for the fall, brewing a Nut Brown (recipe from Gordon Strong's "Modern Homebrew Recipes") on Saturday. Got the White Labs London Ale yeast going in a 3L starter on the stir plate last night.

Will be brewing two 100% Brett beers, one with Brett L and one with Brett B., with the Brett B one getting a noticeable (Pils realm, not IPA realm) hop presence, and the Brett L one getting 5 lbs of sour cherries.

Used Brett plenty of times before, but these are going to be my first Brett-only fermentations.

Back