baking bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not done. You would have to heat and cool them slow or they may shatter. I think there are better ways for bottles. They don't have to be sterile. I know some brewers do do it that way.

So much work. Unnecessary work. Much easier to sanitize bottles with starsan. Besides if there is any debris on the bottles it would get baked on rather than rinsed off.

I've not done it since there are easier ways to sanitize bottles but if you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will find a couple of thread on the subject.

Welcome to HBT!

It's really not that much work, and you are _sterilizing_ the bottles instead of sanitizing them. Yes, it's not a substitute for cleaning and it will bake on whatever is in them... but a rinse with star-san isn't going to remove that either, and it's definitely not going to sanitize the gunk. The bottles need to be clean regardless of what you do to sanitize/sterilize.

It's actually really easy, and personally I think it is the quickest way to do things as far as actual work is concerned. If you stack them carefully, you can get all of the bottles for a batch of beer in the oven at once. I rinse them all, and stack them in a COLD oven. Turn it on to 300 degrees, run it for one hour, and shut it off. I do this the night before bottling and just leave the whole thing closed. Nothing is going to get in or out and all I have to do on bottling day is open the oven and start filling.

I've not tried the stove, but I've tried the dishwasher thing. Once. In the time it took just to carry the bottles up to the dishwasher and load it, I could've had them all sanitized right there in the basement and been ready to start filling instead of waiting for the dishwasher to run and cart them back downstairs.

Sanitizing with Star-San (iodophor should work the same) even with just the bottling bucket+wand to work with takes < 5 minutes for 50 bottles.

Back