first time dry hopping question and long iodofor time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I am going to dry hop tonight and wondered whetehr I need to put the hop pellets in a bag or whether I can just drop them into the fermentor.

If I need to put them in a bag, I will need to sanitise it and rather than wasting the iodofor, can I let it sit in my keg for a week so that I can sanitise everything at bottling time or will long iodofor contact be a problem?

You can just drop them in the fermenter without the bag. That's the way I always do it. You can use a bag but make sure the bag is sanitized. I don't have experience with your sanitizer, I just use star San with 2 minute contract time. Also just dropping them in should give more contact with the beer.

I wouldn't let the iodophor sit in the keg for a week.

Just drop those hops right in. Bags a waste of time IMHO.

I bought a uv/light resistant bottle from a laboratory supply company that I store my iodophor in so as to not waste it.

Do you need to sanitise anything or just cut the top off the hop packet, carefully remove airlock, carefully pour in hops, carefully replace airlock?

I would sanitize the bag that the hops came in and sanitize the scissors used to cut them. Then yes, open the airlock, pour them in, replace airlock. Careful if you spill any on the floor and have dogs as hops are poisonous to dogs.

just chuck them in. No need to sanitize anything.

+1

I've had issues with free-floating hop pellet bits clogging up the works in my kegs once or twice. My solution is to rubberband a 2 inch square of not-too-fine mesh over my racking cane, sanitize the whole apparatus, then rack to my serving kegs. No hop debris, no clogged kegs and no lame hop bags either.

+1

I've had issues with free-floating hop pellet bits clogging up the works in my kegs once or twice. My solution is to rubberband a 2 inch square of not-too-fine mesh over my racking cane, sanitize the whole apparatus, then rack to my serving kegs. No hop debris, no clogged kegs and no lame hop bags either.

Will this mesh work the same with an auto-siphon? I don't want clogs in my kegs either.

Robert
-working on my RV Keezer

Back