Yeast starter - White Labs yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenDawg19

Reaction score
I am using White Labs European Ale for a Winter Spice Ale. The target starting gravity is 1.067. Do I need to make a starter for a 5 gallon batch? White Labs says no as long as original gravity is less than 1.080. Opinions please!!!

+1 on making a starter for any beer, especially for OG of 1.067. I also second the Mr. Malty web page, lots good info.

Would a 2nd vial be enough without a starter? According to Mr. Malty, I would need 2.5 vials.

What do you think?
I prefer to make a starter over using additional vials/smack packs. It's nice to get the yeast warmed up so fermentation takes off within a couple of hours. I'm sure using a second vial would be fine, but it'll cost you more and I think your fermentation will commence sooner with a starter.

Make a starter. I used to pitch white labs vials right into my wort and I wondered why the beer never fermented completely. Now I always make a starter then pitch the yeast and haven't had a stuck fermentation since.

Back