Good first Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have never brewed a Brown Ale before and I really want to brew one this weekend. Is there a really good kit anyone has tried? Bad kits to stay away from?

I have had a lot of success this year with the kits from Austin Homebrew Supply and have loved their service and quality.. . just looking for anyone else's experiences. . .

Thanks!

You can brew my Brown ale recipe...Check my recipe pull down..you can do it as extract with grains all the way to all grain...I provide the recipe for all versions...

I'll be adding that to my "future brews"! Pity I didn't find it when searching for a Nut Brown 3 weeks ago. :drunk:

Well, it's not a nutbrown....it's just a brown...I guess if you added some oats to it it would technically be a nut brown.

I knew that. :drunk:

I'll do it as is at some point. I could always up the Chocolate.

BTW, nice "costume" photo. ;)

Thanks Revvy! I will definitely give that a shot.

Maybe this is a personal preference kind of thing, but when do you add the DME? at Flameout?

Thanks Revvy! I will definitely give that a shot.

Maybe this is a personal preference kind of thing, but when do you add the DME? at Flameout?

Somewhere within the last half hour...you want to make sure it's boiled for 15 minutes..But since it's a brown you don't HAVE to worry about it getting dark...So late extract addition isn't a necessity.

Heck - it's ALL I brew LOL - I think I'm the only Brown ale lover in the world.

OK OK - I brew lots of other things but Brown ales are my first love. Or dark Ambers!

Well, it's not a nutbrown....it's just a brown...I guess if you added some oats to it it would technically be a nut brown.

There aren't really any oats in a Nut Brown. Your recipe is very Nut Brown (Northern English Brown)-like with the exception of the yeast.

One of my favourite styles - I love Browns.

I have an American Brown recipe in my pull-down - cross between a Brown and IPA if you're into hoppy styles.

Back