Anyone have info on mash hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
Going to brew up some house ale tomorow and mix up the hop schedule a bit. Not that there is anything wrong with the beer, I just want to try some stuff out to make it even better.

Going to throw a half oz of Amarillo in the mash instead of dry hopping just to see what happens. Anyone try this yet?

This is all I could find on the subject which is not much. I'm trying to get away from dry hopping as it clogs up the works.

Hop schedule will look like this for a 90 min boil.

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (90 min) (Mash Hop)Hops 3.1 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort)Hops 16.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (Flame-Out) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (Flame-Out) Hops -

Mash hopping and dry hopping are going to get you 2 completely different things. They shouldn't replace one another in a finished beer. Mash hopping is going to get the bitterness IBU's from a long boil after the MT. Boiling will drive off the aroma from the hops and leave the bittering properties. The hop oils that late kettle additions and dry hopping give have less time to escape, as these are after or just be for flame out and cooling of the wort. The aromas from the mash hopping will be long gone in the finished beer. If this is a PA or IPA beer I would suggest trying both MH and DH for an outa site end product. P.S I really like that hop schedule. I'm sure someone else will give you their 0.02$

I havent dried mash hopping yet, but as Gabe said mash hop and dry hop are two different animals. I personally dry hop in a bag in the keg and have never had a clogging problem. I have noticed that if left in the keg for more than 5 days it starts to get more bitter. I dont really understand this unless by that time I have already extracted the aromatics and am now extracting the bitters. But that is of little concern because I like hops.

Sounds interesting and I would like to know how it comes out for you,
Reading the article you referenced it seems like the end outcome is forcing you to use more hops, and since I can't buy hops in the volume I need for a good IPA I kind of cringe at overdosing the mash where a longer boil "may" produce the same effect with less hops.
In any case, best of luck and I hope you love the final outcome.

Maybe I should have worded my post better.(I'm not too bright you see) I know what to expect from the FWH and the late hop editions. When I mentioned that I was trying to get away from dry hopping that was to explain the big flame out edition.

What I should have asked is what kind of character a mash hop addition will add to the final product, if anyone has tried this, and if so what kind of results they had.

This is for an APA, but I'm also curious as to what other styles would benefit from this technique.

Maybe I should have worded my post better.(I'm not too bright you see) I know what to expect from the FWH and the late hop editions. When I mentioned that I was trying to get away from dry hopping that was to explain the big flame out edition.

What I should have asked is what kind of character a mash hop addition will add to the final product, if anyone has tried this, and if so what kind of results they had.

This is for an APA, but I'm also curious as to what other styles would benefit from this technique.

Check out this from Basic Brewing Radio. The guest does some Mash Hopping.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr05-15-08alternate.mp3

I suspect it will be more similar to First Wort Hopping in that you'll get a lot of flavor and aroma, however since the hops themselves will be stuck in the mash, rather than in the brew kettle, you won't get the same IBU's that you get with FWH.

So I'm thinking less bitterness, more flavor aroma.

I suspect it will be more similar to First Wort Hopping in that you'll get a lot of flavor and aroma, however since the hops themselves will be stuck in the mash, rather than in the brew kettle, you won't get the same IBU's that you get with FWH.

So I'm thinking less bitterness, more flavor aroma.

Maybe I'm thinking this wrong but, regardless of wort or mash it still has to be boiled which will drive off flavor and aromatics. I know very little of mash hopping.

The only person I know who has done extensive research in mash hopping sums it up thusly: "Waste of hops." He was planning on a BYO article, but decided three words would be too short even for the letters section.

Back