• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Connecticut Custom Insulated Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orangehero

Reaction score
Hello,

This is a mash tun made from a plastic covered 50L keg.

The top has been removed and a bottom drain has been soldered in. The bottom drain consists of a 1/2" SS female elbow and 1/2" x 8" SS nipple. The photos show a 3-piece valve, but I'm going to keep it. Instead there will just be a 1/2" SS two-piece valve so you can put whatever connector or fitting you want on the end.

1/4" SS half-coupling soldered into the side to accept an RTD probe. It can be easily plugged for use without a thermometer.

Custom wrap made of reflectix consisting of three pieces: a wrap for the outside and covers for the lid and bottom.

Glass lid and a custom 15" 16-gauge SS hinged false bottom with handle. The handle is placed next to the hinge to make it easier to pull the false bottom up through the grain once you're finished mashing.

Not pictured is a nylon strap used to secure the insulation that I will include as well.

Everything is in excellent, lightly used condition. The mash tun will hold mash temp for over an hour.

$275 for everything.

Located near Hartford, CT. I'd prefer to sell local but I'll consider shipping for an extra fee...probably $30-40.

Thanks for looking! :mug:

MashTun.01.jpg

MashTun.02.jpg

MashTun.03.jpg

MashTun.04.jpg

MashTun.05.jpg

Nice MT, what was your largest grain bill that you could fit into this? (at what grain/water ratio).

just dropped $300 on a 20gal spike kettle and already have a keggle and blichmann mashtun, but damn!! that thing is pimped out!! hopefully you get what you're asking.

The most that I've fit in there is 25-26 lbs at 1.5 qt/lb...I used steam injection for temp control, so it's thinner than necessary for other methods.

I think the dead space is about half a gallon, maybe less...so you could probably fit about 30 lbs to the brim at 1.25 qt/lb, but that will depend on your crush as well.

It's adequate if you making 10 gal session beers and 5 gal big beers. I set the temp probe coupler low enough so it can be used for 5 gal batches.

I would be interested in the false bottom if you want to sell separate.

****, I wish I could swing $40, I'd love to be able to do 10G batches bigger than 1.040 but i've way overshot my wad for brewing in the last month.

I'm also going to include a 4" RTD probe that goes in the 1/4" NPT port. It has a pigtail with Switchcraft metal XLR plugs that connects with a cord with auber connector on the end.

Probe.01.jpg

I'm very interested. I live in PA so I would need it shipped. Any guess on the weight/cost?

This is a nice set up, and I am looking to upgrade my MT. If its still available, let me know how far you are from Ridgefield, CT.

rugbystud137 I'm sorry but I would really prefer to sell local, shipping would be expensive and it's just a hassle. I changed my mind and can't edit the OP anymore.

That thing looks amazing... just bought one myself but who ever gets that thing will be VERY happy in the end... BUMP

It's still available, not sure what's wrong with the photos. PM me if you want to see them.

Orangehero.... Do you have a source for that stainless T-handle I see on your false bottom. I have a similar custom made FB and would really like a similar handle. Thank you. Greg

How did you manage to fit a 15" false bottom in a euro keg, dont most of them have a ID or 13-13.5"? id buy the false bottom if ya wanna part it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back