Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case anyone else is still wondering, you can indeed fit 4 ball lock kegs on the floor of the 5.2 magic chef freezer from home depot. I have a 6" collar and there is still enough room for a 3 gallon ball lock and my 5# tank on the compressor hump.

How difficult was it to remove the hinges?

Okay, I bought the 5.2cu ft Magic Chef, took it home and realized it was way too small to fit 4 corny kegs. I made some 8.5" circles and a couple 12" ones (for carboys) and it can only fit 2 corny kegs.

I took it back and got the 6.9 cu ft model and that is the one that he must have bought because I think it could fit all of that in a tight fit.

Right now I've got 2 carboys in the 6.9 cu ft magic chef on the floor with a little extra space.

Guesstimate off of the 5 CU ft listings in the op.I have an older 5 cu that I use as a ferm chamber. It fits one corny keg in it. Haven't even tried to put a co2 tank in there.

Ill be starting my build soon. Going to base it off this frigidaire model.

FFFC07M1QW 7.2cf

Buying it new since out of pocket cost will be only about 50.00 before tax and I dont want someones used one off craigslist after putting what will be some effort into building.

Rest of the hardware is on order. Only planning on for now a 4 tapper with a 10# co2 tank kept inside. May at a future date add a dedicated nitro tap.

First of the parts has started arriving.

shanky.jpg

I'm looking to get a keezer in the next coming month or two and was curious if there were any recommendations for black freezers in the 5cubic size range? Thanks!

I just bought this chest freezer at Best Buy, holds 3 kegs without a collar (see photo). Details are:
Insignia (Best Buy) 7.0 cu ft Chest Freezer, model NS-CZ70WH6
White only
In-store and online
Pricing: $199.99 but seems to be on sale for 169.99 a lot.
Exterior: 37.25 x 20.75 (incl hinge) x 33.375 H
Interior: 31.875 x 14.5 x 27.75 (top looking down has rounding on edges)
Hump: 8.25 wide, distance from hump to top: 19.375

IMG_1895.JPG

I bought the same one at Best Buy - floor model for 129. It's been great so far. It'll fit a forth keg with no collar if you have a 3 gallon one.

Hey guys, I got the Home Depot Magic Chef 6.9 and it will hold 4 torpedo slimlines but won't old my combo of 2 old cornys 2 AEB kegs or 2 torpedos 2 AEB (the AEB have a slightly wider boot but it's realllly close).

I just bought the same freezer and I'm trying to decide what kegs to buy. With the fittings and line attached, can you get the lid closed on standard ball lock kegs without a collar? From my measurements it seems like it would be very close, like the keg and fittings would fit, but then the lid might be pushing down on the line a bit.

I just bought the same freezer and I'm trying to decide what kegs to buy. With the fittings and line attached, can you get the lid closed on standard ball lock kegs without a collar? From my measurements it seems like it would be very close, like the keg and fittings would fit, but then the lid might be pushing down on the line a bit.

The ball lock posts I have sit underneath the tops of the handles on the Torpedoes (by design - torpedoes are designed to stack with ball lock connections attached).

Since the freezer has the insulation in the lid that hangs below the weather stripping it's so shockingly close that a little dirt on the bottoms of the kegs might affect the seal... lol

I'm putting a 1.5" collar (a 2x4 ripped in half) so that I can attach my perlicks without drilling into the freezer.

I just about finished my build. The 4 slimlines fit but it is snug. I can't even swap one of my AEB kegs with one!

IMG_3937.jpg

image.jpg

Anyone have any advice on a chest freezer that will hold two Ball lock kegs and a 5 LB co2 tank without a collar?

Anyone have any advice on a chest freezer that will hold two Ball lock kegs and a 5 LB co2 tank without a collar?

I can confirm the Home Depot Magic Chef 6.9 will hold 3 ball lock kegs and a 5 lb CO2 tank without a collar. The lid may or may not be pushing down on the lines a bit. I have one ball lock keg in it without a collar and the lid clears the beer line but pushes the gas line down maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch. So far that doesn't seem to be an issue. I have a different gas line/disconnect where it doesn't push it down at all, so it might depend on the exact disconnect and line you have.

Got a 5.0 cubic foot one from Walmart on Black Friday for $99. Will fit 2 cornies and the 5 lb. tank on the compressor hump just fine. Right now I only have one keg in it, but that will change in about 2 weeks :D :mug:

Hello, all. I am looking at picking up a Genkraft Chest Freezer. They are not energy star, and are advertised as restaurant freezers. They seem to be on casters, which is cool. Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of this brand. I can get a 15 cu sq for about 275.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 6.56.30 PM.png

anyone know how many you can fit in a 5 cubic foot freezer if I use some 2.5s as well?
2 x 2.5 on hump, 2 x 5 on floor, 1 x #5 co2?

anyone know how many you can fit in a 5 cubic foot freezer if I use some 2.5s as well?
2 x 2.5 on hump, 2 x 5 on floor, 1 x #5 co2?

I brought 3 ball locks to Lowes yesterday to test-fit any/all 5cf they have, and this one held three on the floor with a little room to spare. I forgot to bring my 5lb CO2 tank, but the hump wasn't terribly tall, so I'd imagine you could fit 2 5gal plus 1 2.5gal on the floor, and 1 2.5gal and the CO2 tank on the hump. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Idylis-5-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-White/50298239

Now, the reviews for that model are mixed, so don't take what I'm saying as an endorsement.

I'm actually going to go with the GE that they offer, sight unseen (fingers crossed!), which has rave reviews: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-5-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-White/1000060809

I just picked up a Kenmore 12702 7.2 cu. ft. Chest Freezer at Kmart. It is on sale for $169.99. I found an online promo code to get an additional $15 off. I can confirm it fits four ball lock kegs on the floor.

Before adding the lines the lid closes with the 5 pound tank and regulator as shown. I do not have the lines hooked up because I intend to build a collar when my Perlicks are delivered.

http://m.kmart.com/kenmore-7.0-cu-ft-chest-freezer-white/p-04612702000P

I hope this post helps anyone considering a keezer build. This thread has been invaluable in planning my build.

IMG_6169.jpg

I just picked up a Kenmore 12702 7.2 cu. ft. Chest Freezer at Kmart. It is on sale for $169.99. I found an online promo code to get an additional $15 off. I can confirm it fits four ball lock kegs on the floor.

Before adding the lines the lid closes with the 5 pound tank and regulator as shown. I do not have the lines hooked up because I intend to build a collar when my Perlicks are delivered.

I hope this post helps anyone considering a keezer build. This thread has been invaluable in planning my build.
Awesome, I just bought the same one, I'm in NJ as well.

I plan on building a collar - please share when you do.

Thanks for sharing!

Apparently, there's also a ~7 cu ft one on sale at some Costco's for $109 from another manufacturer. Unfortunately out of stock at my local Costcos.

The following configurations work in a HF50CW20W with a 2x6 collar and external CO2

2 Ball Locks on floor
1 Ball Lock and 1 Pin Lock on floor
2 Ball Locks on floor and 1 Pin Lock on hump
1 Ball Lock and 1 Pin Lock on floor with 1 Pin Lock on hump

Looks a lot like the Frigidaire 7.2 I just bought. It holds 4 ball lock kegs on the floor and I test-fitted two more - one straddling the hump and the last one on the hump. Pretty sure getting 6 in there is not too much of an issue. The white plastic trim along the top is in the way but it's manageable. I bought it at Lowe's and similar to you, got a $15 off coupon on check out. The model # is FFFC07M1QW and it seems readily available at various locations. I sent Thadius the specs for it in the hope that he'll list it in his chart.

Denis

Sub'd for info and probable build very soon!

Edit: ok! I can confirm that the Kenmore 12512 15.6 cubic ft chest freezer is awesome! 429 from Sears and had it in 2 days. So far I can easily fit 2 1/6bbl kegs and 1 corny (all I've put in so far) with lots of space left. I'm sure I could fit 4 more cornys if I needed to. If I get bored, I'll do a corny test fit and list it here. So far, the build has been super basic, but it's working out nicely. I went with a dual tower setup, as I didn't want to deal with building a collar, plus it keeps the taps far away from small hands. If anyone else uses this freezer as I did, I would recommend reinforcing the top to support the towers. The sheet metal is pretty flimsy, and not nearly enough to support a dual tap tower. I don't have picture, but what I did was go down and buy a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood and stick that to the inside of the lid with liquid nails, then drill 3" holes through it and screw through the metal into the wood to mount the towers. Works great so far, and it's much more sturdy. The inner plastic liner and insulation were very easy to move out of the way, and it all went back in, so I'm sure it'll still insulate just fine.
Bad picture:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1490763174.349727.jpg

So, my chest freezer died and wouldn't get below 45F. Time for a new one. I wound up getting the Frigidaire 8.7 cu ft model at Lowe's. Model: FFFC09M1RW.

They had it for $269 and my friend got me a 5% discount which got it down to $255.55 plus tax.

It easily fit my 3 Corny ball-lock kegs and 5 lb CO2 tank. I'm sure I can get a fourth keg in there as well. :mug:

It only took like an hour or so to get down to 35F.

20170521_162316.jpg

So, my chest freezer died and wouldn't get below 45F. Time for a new one. I wound up getting the Frigidaire 8.7 cu ft model at Lowe's. Model: FFFC09M1RW.

They had it for $269 and my friend got me a 5% discount which got it down to $255.55 plus tax.

It easily fit my 3 Corny ball-lock kegs and 5 lb CO2 tank. I'm sure I can get a fourth keg in there as well. :mug:

It only took like an hour or so to get down to 35F.

Easily with no collar? No THAT is intriguing . . .

I agree that 4 looks possible too. :)

I have an update on the Danby 5.5, while this prior post was very encouraging, apparently the latest model (DCF055A1WDB1) made minor changes in dimensions. I went to a local store with my keg template cutouts and there is no way to get 3 kegs on the floor now, they must have made the compressor hump a little larger or otherwise changed the interior dimensions. I'm pretty sure it would be possible to still get 4 kegs in by raising the keg that doesn't quite fit to straddle the hump by a few inches and then there should be enough room to fit another one fully on the hump above it. However, unless you are willing to use smaller kegs (1.75, 2.5, 3, etc) this will require a massive collar as there is only 16.5 inches from the top of the hump to the top of the freezer. I had to borrow a ladder and to get inside the floor model as it was on a shelf so I didn't try all templates to confirm.

I want 3 on the floor, plus a mini on the hump and don't want a massive collar, but if I reconsider and go back for another look I'll do another check with all the templates and report back if I do pick it up.

NOTE - I do realize it looks like there might be room to slide the bottom left one over, but I did try everything before this photo. I had a last second thought to quickly go back up and snap a quick photo and didn't fully adjust, but they do NOT fit on the floor. My templates aren't perfect either, but I don't think it's worth trying for real on this one.

I know there were some doubts about the Danby 5.5 cu ft actually fitting 4 kegs and to be honest I couldn't find proof anywhere online myself. So here is some proof!

There's actually a good amount of room left, enough to fit potentially 2 5lb co2 tanks inside if you really needed such a thing.

I went with this model because I have a very tight working space and wanted 4 taps. This will be a through the wall setup eventually.

The 3 on the floor are ball locks and it is kind of a squeeze but there is air around them and I will have a fan or two running in the final build. You would NOT be able to fit 4 pin locks in this fridge due to the tight space on the floor. In this pic I have 1 pin on the hump and three on the floor. Plenty of space on the hump, you could probably fit a 10lb tank next to the hump keg, even with a pin. I don't have one to test, just 20's and that will NOT fit, just tried it.

I will have to make a relatively tall collar for this to work, a ball lock sits 8" higher than the top. So 10" collar at least.

Danby 5.5 (Blaines).jpg

I have an update on the Danby 5.5, while this prior post was very encouraging, apparently the latest model (DCF055A1WDB1) made minor changes in dimensions. I went to a local store with my keg template cutouts and there is no way to get 3 kegs on the floor now, they must have made the compressor hump a little larger or otherwise changed the interior dimensions. I'm pretty sure it would be possible to still get 4 kegs in by raising the keg that doesn't quite fit to straddle the hump by a few inches and then there should be enough room to fit another one fully on the hump above it. However, unless you are willing to use smaller kegs (1.75, 2.5, 3, etc) this will require a massive collar as there is only 16.5 inches from the top of the hump to the top of the freezer. I had to borrow a ladder and to get inside the floor model as it was on a shelf so I didn't try all templates to confirm.

I want 3 on the floor, plus a mini on the hump and don't want a massive collar, but if I reconsider and go back for another look I'll do another check with all the templates and report back if I do pick it up.

I know there were some doubts about the Danby 5.5 cu ft actually fitting 4 kegs and to be honest I couldn't find proof anywhere online myself. So here is some proof!

There's actually a good amount of room left, enough to fit potentially 2 5lb co2 tanks inside if you really needed such a thing.

I went with this model because I have a very tight working space and wanted 4 taps. This will be a through the wall setup eventually.

The 3 on the floor are ball locks and it is kind of a squeeze but there is air around them and I will have a fan or two running in the final build. You would NOT be able to fit 4 pin locks in this fridge due to the tight space on the floor. In this pic I have 1 pin on the hump and three on the floor. Plenty of space on the hump, you could probably fit a 10lb tank next to the hump keg, even with a pin. I don't have one to test, just 20's and that will NOT fit, just tried it.

I will have to make a relatively tall collar for this to work, a ball lock sits 8" higher than the top. So 10" collar at least.

I see you don't have any of the 3.5 cu freezers done yet.
Can anyone confirm that the 6 gal carboy or 6.5gal bucket will fit in this with an airlock?
I don't have room for anything bigger and I would like to get a fermentation chamber for lagers.

Thanks!

I just bought a Kenmore 12909, same as the 12912 I believe but black. I can fit 6 ball locks on the floor and a 5# CO2 on the hump, no collar. I was wondering if anyone knew if I can fit 5 pin locks on the floor? I have 5 ball locks in there right now. I bought Bev-Seal Ultra and John Guest fittings and I can just barely close the lid and keep it closed because of the height. I would like to just use pin locks for some extra clearance if I can get away with it.

Bestbuy is having a sale on chest freezers. I just picked up an Insignia 10.2 cuft unit for $219. Best deal I could find.

Back