Bottle from secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of Coopers Bitter in the primary that has been in there for about 10 days. I want to rack it to my secondary fermentor sometime this weekend, and I was thinking that I could just bottle from the secondary after conditioning because I am using a ported Better Bottle.

Will this stir up too much sediment, defeating the purpose of racking to secondary, or will it help ensure that there is enough floating yeast to do the job of carbonating?

Priming the beer would be your biggest problem if you bottle right from the secondary, I wouldn't be too concerned about stirring up some yeast. I would advise against adding granulated or corn sugar directly to the bottles, but prime tabs or some form of sugar tablets could work... I tried prime tabs once (one tab per bottle) and I had alot of gushers and the beer had a cidery taste, so I couldn't in good conscience advise those either.

Instead I would say just bulk prime your beer, it works great and isn't all that much extra work.

I agree with "King of the swill"... I've tried to do it right from the secondary and it just made a mess by kicking up the bottom. Move it to a bucket and bulk prime it. Trust me it makes it alot easier, and leaves a nice even carbonation in each bottle.

I brew small batches so I do this all the time. You can use any of the various sugar drops on the market, or you can just add 1/2 tsp of cane (or corn, but I use cane with no probs) sugar to each bottle. This method was advocated by a guest on Basic Brewing Radio a while back because slight oxidation is less of a risk.

I am planning on bulk priming the secondary and then waiting 15 minutes or so for it to settle before starting to bottle. I'm more concerned with having enough yeast in the bottle for carbonation than achieving a crystal-clear beer. I'd hate to end up with a batch of flat beers, and I don't have any extra yeast to add before bottling.

There is no need to be concerned about not having enough yeast when using a bottling bucket. If there was enough yeast to ferment your beer to the Target Gravity, there will be enough to condition in the bottle. Thats why kits come with bottling buckets :)
The only batch I had that did not carbonate fully was the one that I did not rack the beer on top of the priming sugar. The sugar mix didn't mix in well enough and the carbonation was inconsistent.
I would go with the bottling bucket.

Back