Sitting in Carboy for 8 Months - Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeNomad

Reaction score
Ok so I brewed up an Yooper's DFH 60 min IPA in October and I haven't had time to get to it. You know how life gets with work and such eh?

Anyway I am not sure if this is infected, I am very good when it comes to cleaning everything but I have never left anything in the carboy for 8 months before. The top looks to have what might be some hop gunk floating in it with some CO2 bubbles, or it might be colonies of bacteria.

Would you guys bottle this or dump it? Also if it turns sour could I reuse the bottles for regular beer?

4036-photo3.jpg

4035-photo2.jpg

4034-photo1.jpg

As said, taste it.

I have let some meads sit for 3 yrs. before bottling. IMO, your pics dont show anything worth worrying about. Tasting is the only way to know for sure.

Glass is inert. Clean, sanitize and its good-to-go.

Ok, will report back on taste. Do you guys figure this guy would need some fresh yeast prior to bottling?

Yum yum yum, took a sample and just measured my FG and omg it tastes good! Low FG as well (see below). I'll be prepping this for bottling! It'll be my most well aged beer yet.

OG: 1.077
FG: 1.013
ABV: 8.4%

I had a robust porter that due to circumstnaces beyond my control, sat in the carboy for around 7 or 8 months. Not only did it taste fantastic, it was one of my best batches.

I'm glad you already tasted it and decided to bottle, but just wanted to throw another positive on a few months on a yeast cake doesn't kill a beer.

I had a robust porter that due to circumstnaces beyond my control, sat in the carboy for around 7 or 8 months. Not only did it taste fantastic, it was one of my best batches.

I'm glad you already tasted it and decided to bottle, but just wanted to throw another positive on a few months on a yeast cake doesn't kill a beer.

+1
Autolysis???? Pffff.... riiiiiiiiiiight...

If it tastes good, go for it! Although, I might suggest dry-hopping a little if you think you've lost some of your hop aromas, otherwise nothing in your pics looks terribly off.

i have ris that has been on yeast since jan/feb and got a little worried, some say leave on yeast no longer than 6 weeks to 3 months. idk. bet i doesn't kill me

Back