Little confused about SSR Wiring diagram

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm no expert either, but even I know that it is against electrical code to have a switched or fused neutral.

SSR terminal #1 should be tied to Auberins terminal #9 and the heater element should be tied to Auberins terminal #10.

You should email them. They have always responded quickly to my ???. It would be nice to know what they were thinking when they did those instructions.

I'm no expert either, but even I know that it is against electrical code to have a switched or fused neutral.

SSR terminal #1 should be tied to Auberins terminal #9 and the heater element should be tied to Auberins terminal #10.

This is correct, never switch (break) a neutral. Switch the (HOT) lead in a 120VAC circuit.

In a 240VAC circuit, sepecially to a heater element, both hot leads should be broken. This can be done by controlling the output to the heater element with a 120VAC DPDT relay. 120 to the coil of the relay, 240 single phase through each of the relay contacts to the heater. This electrically isolates the heater element. If you break one leg of the 240, there is still 120VAC to ground available at the heater element just looking for a ground, possibly YOU!!

First of all, I am by no means an expert when it comes to reading wiring diagrams, but when looking at Auber's instructions (Page 6 of 8. Diagram 5.3) it looks to me that they have the neutral line running into the load side of the SSR. This doesn't make any sense to me. Shouldn't it be a hot leg?

http://auberins.com/images/Manual/Manual%20version%203.4.pdf

Looks wrong to me. Don't do it that way. Switch the load line before the heater element.

Good to know that It's the diagram and not me that's wrong. As for electrically isolating the heating element, I'm actually going to run both hot legs through a 30 amp switch. The switch will sit in between the SSR and the outlet feeding the element. When I want to cut power to the element, I will flip the switch off. This way I can be sure that there is absolutely no current being delivered to the element despite what the pid is telling the SSR (or in the event of an SSR failure).

Answer from Auber

"Yes the argument is correct. It would be better to switch the hot line. However, since there is a double pole switch at the power entrance, it does not make much difference.
Thank you for pointing out this problem. We will revise the manual."

Answer from Auber

"Yes the argument is correct. It would be better to switch the hot line. However, since there is a double pole switch at the power entrance, it does not make much difference.
Thank you for pointing out this problem. We will revise the manual."

Thanks for the info...I was planning on emailing them myself tonight.

Latest posts

Back