Overshot my OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wholecone

Reaction score
I was attempting to brew the Dunkelweizen from BCS. I was doing a partial boil extract brew with some specialty grains. The target OG was 1.056 for 5.5 gallons, after I topped off to over 5.5 gallons my gravity was still about 1.061. I listened to the podcast on the Jamil Show about Dunkelweizens to get a little bit more info. Jamil mentioned that the Munich LME he called for was ideally 100% Munich malt. I could only get the Briess version which is 50% base malt 50% Munich malt. I decided to get 2 ounces of Munich malt and steep it with my specialty grains for some more flavor. I'm wondering if the unconverted starches somehow were responsible for raising my OG higher than what I anticipated. I know the Munich malt is a kilned malt that is usually supposed to be mashed, but I thought it could also be steeped as well. Here's the recipe I used:

6.125 pounds Briess Wheat LME
2 pounds Briess Munich LME
6 ounces Crystal 45L
5 ounces Special B (240L)
2 ounces Carafa Special II
2 ounces Munich Malt
.85 ounces Hallertau pellet hops, 4.7% AA (60 minute)
1 vial WLP300 Hefeweizen yeast, made into 1.5 quart starter

The grains were steeped in 1.5 gallons water at 165 deg f for 30 minutes in a grain sac and then allowed to drain. I did notice the grain mill at the LHBS was set a little bit on the fine side, but it seemed pretty good. Also, I did it late-extract style, so I after the grains steeped I added 3 pounds 2.5 ounces wheat LME and 1 pound Munich LME and topped up to 3 gallons to bring the boil gravity to around 1.048 and added the rest at knockout before I chilled and strained it. Do you guys have any idea what could have bumped up the OG so much? I put all the ingredients into beercalculus and it should have been at 1.056 at 5.5 gallons. Oh yeah my hydrometer checks out in distilled water, I mixed the wort well with the water before reading, and I didn't apply a temp correction to the hydrometer reading since it was at 60 degrees F.

I decided to get 2 ounces of Munich malt and steep it with my specialty grains for some more flavor. I'm wondering if the unconverted starches somehow were responsible for raising my OG higher than what I anticipated. I know the Munich malt is a kilned malt that is usually supposed to be mashed, but I thought it could also be steeped as well.

You can steep munich. And as long as the temp is between 145 and 160, the starch will convert to sugar.

But, that's irrelevant. 2 oz of grain isn't going to make any sort of impact on your gravity. Maybe 0.001 total points.. nothing like the different you are seeing.

Back