Transporting a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf

Reaction score
I've got a mostly full corny keg of Belgian Wit I was thinking of bringing to Thanksgiving with us since we'll all be there for two days, but it's about an hours drive to get there. After the normal bouncing and jostling of having it in a moving car for an hour will it still pour relatively well, or will it be all foam, and if so how long will that last?
Any tips to transporting carbed kegs, or is it not something to worry about?

If you let it settle for a bit it shoudl be fine. Afterall, we've all dragged commercial kegs around with little ill effect, right?

If it were me, I think I'd keep the keg upright if I could. I know they're "airtight", but it just seems like a good thing to do if you can.

rdwj said:
If you let it settle for a bit it shoudl be fine. Afterall, we've all dragged commercial kegs around with little ill effect, right?

If it were me, I think I'd keep the keg upright if I could. I know they're "airtight", but it just seems like a good thing to do if you can.
Yeah, I thought the same, we can bungee it in place in the back of the truck (SUV, not truck bed) standing upright.

Another question I've been looking for an answer on but haven't found...whats the ideal length of the beer line? I already have a lot of foaming when I pour and I thought I heard that a longer beer line can solve that. I bought this system secondhand and this is my first use of it, so I'm still working the bugs out.

TWolf10 said:
Yeah, I thought the same, we can bungee it in place in the back of the truck (SUV, not truck bed) standing upright.

Another question I've been looking for an answer on but haven't found...whats the ideal length of the beer line? I already have a lot of foaming when I pour and I thought I heard that a longer beer line can solve that. I bought this system secondhand and this is my first use of it, so I'm still working the bugs out.

I have found that 6' of 3/16" beer line is about right. You can start out longer and then cut to get the right amount of foam. All three of my taps have 6'.

TWolf10 said:
Another question I've been looking for an answer on but haven't found...whats the ideal length of the beer line?

There are too many variables for a simple answer. This article LOOKS complicated, but really isn't once you read it.

You can get complicated, but anthrobe names the sweet spot. I use 12' of 3/16" on my soda line, but everything else is 6', kegger and party taps. You can always splash a bit at the end to get more head, if that is important to you.

Transport upright & give it a hour to settle. I keg from the fermenter and 95% of the time, driving around doesn't stir up the yeast cake at all.

I got about a 4 foot line of 3/16 ID on a cobra tap. I have to drop the pressure to about 1 or 2 and hold the tap up to about chest high. Also, keep the tap line as cold as you can. You'll get foam regardless if that tap line is room temperature and the keg is at serving temperature.

i also try to keep the keg cold the entire time if i can.

what i've done actually, is used a large bing that could hold the cornies horizontally, and put ice around them to keep them cold. when i went to use them, they poured alright through the jockey box, i didn't really try picnic taps.

one thing though, if you don't plan on pouring very often with the picnic taps, the beer in the line will warm up to room temp, so an ounce or two will come out as foam from the line until it cools down.

Back