Mash tun design question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevenhill

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone

I am on my second all grain brew and thanks to a few posts on this forum, this one seems to be going ok.. I'm bottling it tomorrow as long as my sugar has arrived.

Anyway, the question i have for you all is this: I use a thermostat controlled, electric mashtun. It's 5 gallons, I think it's the same as a Bruheat one. I used a bag for my grain as I have read it's best to not let grain collect on the element as it can impart a caramel flavour to the beer if it begins to burn on there.

Many other things I've read seem to go for the false-bottom mashtun. I thought about creating something for my tun, perhaps a drilled plate to fit in the tun and above the element to allow me more movement of grain, but avoiding the possiblity of burning.

However, it occured to me that if I did that, I might affect the ability of the element to heat the water in the tun and keep the correct mash temperature as the false bottom might act as a barrier to the heated water.

Has anyone got any recommendations as to what's best, bag or FB? and if the latter, how do I keep the hot water rising and the grain away from the heat.

Many thanks in advance.

If your false bottom is above the heating element, the configuration should allow for more even heating of the mash unless your false bottom is made of plastic and has no holes... Heat gradually, and stir frequently.

Make your false bottom out of perforated stainless (I keep advocating this and no one is biting...so I'm gonna do it again). Metal is a great heat conductor, and the thinnest stuff from www.onlinemetals.com is perfect (18ga, 3/32" holes). You can cut it with tin snips, and it's no more expensive than any of the pre-fab false bottoms out there.

EDIT: Ok, that's over 50 posts for me today. I need to go to bed. And get a life...

Yuri_Rage said:
Make your false bottom out of perforated stainless (I keep advocating this and no one is biting...so I'm gonna do it again).

I have that site bookmarked, but I'm not sure what advantage a false bottom will give me over a SS braid. The braid's been working great. I'm more than happy to order some metal :)rockin::rockin:METAL!! :rockin: :rockin: ) if it makes the process better, but I'm not sure what improvement I would get with a false bottom.

Back