do i strain out crushed coriander before fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I'm going to do some sort of white ale / witbier next. It'll probably be loosely based on Belgian Wit from Extreme Brewing but I think I'm going to add a few more spices, like Grains Of Paradise and perhaps some vanilla, and cinammon. Actually, I really want to make a Sam Adams white ale clone but not sure how much of all their spices to use (on their site it says they use orange and lemon peel, dried plum, grains of paradise, coriander, anise, hibiscus, rose hips, tamarind, and vanilla).

But at any rate, my main question is - after I put the various spices in (probably put in at flame out, then let sit for 15 min before wort chilling) - do I strain them out through my strainer when I put in the fermenter, or do i try to get them all in the fermenter?

All in the fermenter might be hard, I use a strainer to strain out most of the hops, so I guess I'd have to use a hop bag this time. But the recipe in Extreme Brewing says to "leave solids in the kettle" - thought I'm really not sure if that includes the spices or not...

Thanks!

Ok, call me crazy, but you say extreme brewing says to "leave solids in kettle." The kettle is your boil pot. I would strain all that stuff out prior to transferring to the fermenter. EDIT: I've made wits before and I filter out everything prior to transfer.

So is the theory there that it only takes a few minutes to absorb whatever flavor the coriander, orange peel, etc., can impart into the beer, and then it's useless?

I made a wit yesterday and as usual most of the orange and seeds were in the compact trub after whirlpooling. I always get some that find their way into the fermenter and each batch has been a cracker of a beer. I only use 15g's of crushed seeds so I can't see how a tiny amount in the fermenter is going to influence 20L's much.

One option you might consider would be to strain it all out because you mentioned it being easier.

Then taste your wort. It will be sweet, but it might give you an idea ahead of time of some of the flavors. Based on that you can add extra spice in the fermenter. Just keep in mind how long you'll want it in there. The longer the more flavor, to a point I suppose.

You probably can't go wrong added a little extra flavor in the last few days to a week of fermentation.

Regardless, I'd take the boiled stuff out. Chemistry tells me things change after being boiled so it might not have the same effect as if would if you were to just put it in your 70 degree fermenter.

Just remember, there are so many paths to get to the same result in homebrewing. Do what your gut tells ya.

Back