2009 German Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
German Lager:
Batch size: 4.0 gal.
Batch #1
10 Lb. German pilsner
2 1/2 Lb. German Munich
2 1/2 Lb. german vienna
1 Lb. crystal 45L
Grain bill: 16 lb
Mash in: 150* for 1 hour and 15 min.
mash out with 178* water
Hops?
Yeast:2 vial white labs german Bock Yeast WLP833
Batch #2 will be the exact same, only I will replace the German Pilsner with Golden promise as my base malt, to see the difference it has on the overall beer? I'm still unsure how to hop a true German lager, so if anyone has some input on this It would sure be helpful. Right now off hand I have 2 1/2 oz Willamette, 2 1/2 oz. Citra, and 3 oz. Cascade. Also can I dry hop a German Lager?

Batch size 4 gallons and 16 lbs of grains? That would bring up the OG to almost 1,100. I don't think any typical German lager is that strong.

your right, I'll take 1/2 lb. of Munich and 1/2 lb. Vienna off and shoot for 4.5 gal. I will also be doing a three step decoction mash. giving a acid rest at 97* F, a protein rest for 1 hour at 122*F saccharification at 150* F for 1 hour and mash out at 172*. As for the hops I was looking at the great American beer festival guidelines for a traditional German bock style lager and should be aiming for 20-35 IBU, and an OG. of 1.066-1.074. Alpha Acid for the hops I have on hand are, Citra 11%, Willamette 4.5%, and the cascades are 7 %.

Back