Flat or Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
While I know it can be done both ways, it seems most carb it. I bottle conditioned some EW Apfelwein but I can't say I'm crazy about the carbination, reminds me too much of champagne instead of wine.

Anyhow, I have 5 gallons of cider in a primary (5+ weeks) that I'm ready to bottle but wondering about carbing it. Is a typical store bought hard cider carb'd? What's people's thoughts on non-carb'd cider. Maybe I could do 50/50 to see what I prefer. :mug:

for an apple wine, I like it still. For cider however, I much more prefer it sparkling, although not like champagne, I use about half the priming sugar you would for beer, makes it just sparkling enough.

I love sparkling cider much more than still. I would even use the full 1 0z per gallon of priming sugar. and yes, store bought hard cider is typically carbonated.

the juice/cider i have done has been carbed enough for me just from fermentation. not bubbling constantly in the glass but enough that you can feel it on the tongue.:cross:

I can't get enough bubbles, personally, and it just so happens most of the friends and family I share with like it like that too.

But plenty of people prefer AW and Cider flat, err, excuse me, still ;)

I think doing half and half is a great idea. You may find you like both. Or, like suggested previously, do a mild carbonation, or maybe even batches of heavily carbed, mildly, and still!

-BB

If you're not sure which you prefer yet, do what I'm doing...split the batch 50/50, carb some and leave some still. The 2 gallons I'm leaving still from this batch will be back sweetened.

So, with a high ABV applewine made with champagne yeast, is that actually an apple champagne (avoiding the technical terminology problems with the use of the word)?

So, with a high ABV applewine made with champagne yeast, is that actually an apple champagne (avoiding the technical terminology problems with the use of the word)?

I think of it as such but don't know if it's as much carbonation.

Thanks for all the replys, this go round I plan on carbing all the cider as I would beer, finally have enough bottles (damn those that don't return them!) :mug:

Back