busting all grain cherry...help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
So I am mashing right now @ 154 degrees and I am drawing a blank on how to measure my efficiency. also...after I collect all my runnings is there a time limit before I have to start boiling?

thanks!

I've done a good 15 AG batches and have never checked or worried about efficency. So, I can't help 'ya there.

How long were you thinking of waiting between drawing all the mash and starting the boil? A couple hours shouldn't be a big deal but don't wait until tomorrow!

Just check your gravity as it goes into the fermentor. You really just need to know the gravity, volume and temperature at any point after sparging is complete.

I like to start my first runnings on to boil as my sparge runnings are leaving the MLT. It stops conversion, and gets me to a boil faster.

I check the SG after all of the runnings are in the kettle. Cool the sample in an ice bath so you have a more accurate reading (under 100 degrees) and then you can use the temperature adjustment tool to correct the reading.

preboil 1.028 and at pitch 65 degrees 1.044

10lb vienna smash with northern brewer. Can someone give me my efficiency?

thanks

mashed with 3.20 gal and sparged with 4 gallons

preboil volume was 6 gallons and post boil was 5.10

missed your og est (aasuming 75%) by 9 points.

i come up with about 62.5%

about what my first ag was.

i would mash with a bit more water, and boil longer to make up for it.

others im sure had differing opinions

go get beersmith!

i assume you do not have it, cuz thats what i used.

worth every penny, and then some.

good luck!

shoot for 68% next time. (ok, that my next step, followed by a step down to 64....)

Latest posts

Back