7/8" Greenlee Slug-Splitter hole punch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Just tossing this out to the wild...

I recently purchased the 1/2" conduit (7/8" actual hole size) slug-splitter hole punch (Greenlee brand) that will go through 3mm stainless steel. I also [now] have the hydraulic Quick Draw driver for it. If anyone in my neck of the woods is looking to make holes for weldless fittings, and can come out to Natick, we can use the tool to punch them.

You still need to drill a hole, but it's much smaller than the final hole size. Plus, you won't wear out a step bit in the process. I plan on using this to make the fitting holes in the keg I'm polishing up so that they're clean. I'm really itching to use this for the first time. I just want to get the keg to a point where I'm happy with it before I make my first cut with it.

IF you're interested, PM me and we can work on syncing up.

You will need to file the burrs off the cutting edge occasionally. We can get about 4 cuts before sharpening. And about 15 before the cutter chips... :mad:

Are you talking about the one you emailed me about?? I went with the one actually designed for use on stainless steel (745H-1/2)... :D

Sucker was NOT cheap, but I expect less issues with it than the ones that are only spec'd out for up to mild steel... :eek:

didn't know thy had one for SS... Would save us money the way we blow through them.

Check out the 745R-1/2 and 745H-1/2 models... They have other sizes, of course, in those lines. They really recommend the hydraulic tool for stainless, especially if you get the 'H' model. I picked it up figuring that since it's spec'd to go through [up to] 3mm of stainless, I shouldn't have much issue going through thinner. The 745R can be used with a wrench and such, but they still recommend one of the Quick-Draw drivers. Got mine from Amazon for about 1/3 the normal price. :rockin: Of course, the hole punch was almost $200 by itself. :eek:

http://www.greenlee.com/catalog/category.aspx?search=745H
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LDFLGO/ref=oh_o06_s01_i00_details 745H-1/2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UH6YW0/ref=oh_o04_s00_i01_details Greenlee 7904-E Quick Draw 90 Hydraulic Punch Driver

I cut 3 holes with my $12 step bit from Harbor freight. I bet I could do at least 10-20 more with it if I wanted to. And maybe a lot more than that.

You would need to have some serious production to need to spend $200 for making holes in S.S. vessels. Commercial production not DIY.

It's dropped in price some since I got mine. The quick draw driver can be used with other slug splitters too.

As the the cheap bits from HF, I've tried them before and they really suck. Good bits run you in the $40-$50 range (step bits) and give you more cuts before giving up the ghost. The way I see it, I'll be able to use other bits I already have (single sized) to get the pilot hole made, then use the slug splitter to simply remove the rest fast. Time savings, plus tools not gone through, make it a good deal in my book. With the one I picked up, I'd be surprised if it didn't work out to costing less per hole in the long run.

Golddiggie said:
If anyone in my neck of the woods is looking to make holes for weldless fittings, and can come out to Natick, we can use the tool to punch them.

I'm really itching to use this for the first time.

Sure! How about you test it out in my $500 Blichmann :drunk:
:D

Step bits are a waste for production and they leave a mess to clean up. A set of kettles for one customer can be 8 holes, step bits (good ones) are good for about 6 holes in 2mm stainless).

Back