Can someone recommend a high-quality thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
price is not really an issue- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

A few guys around here use this thermometer with happy testimonials.

Via Website said:
Choose the model preferred by brew masters! This digital beverage thermometer is ideal for accurate monitoring of mashing and sparging temperatures in all-grain brewing.

I've seen that recommended here and on AHA Tech Talk but I have read some bad reviews about the cable breaking rather easily.

Are there any other options? Does anybody have experience with the above?

If you want remote probe, the $36 traceable is what you want. If you want handheld, there's the expensive Thermopen or less expensive Taylor for $15 waterproof and re-calibratible.

Digital probe thermometer from Ikea - about $6-7. Well calibrated and I find accurate (against a better thermometer) to about +/- 1 degree celcius.

But the probe collar is not waterproof - you cannot immerse the entire probe.

A few guys around here use this thermometer with happy testimonials.

Everyone seems to like these, except me. I mus have just gotten some duds.

First one died in about a week, but since it was within 90 days Professional Equipment sent me a new one. Next one broke after 90 days, I am SOL I guess. It seems that each one failed the same way, it seems that the cable must be breaking right at the probe.

I have replaced this one with one of the $13 digital probe ones from Target. It works just as well (the Traceable one still works if you hold it just right).

I've been really happy with these, depends on your intended use but if you have a keggle with a full coupling, then this is what I would recommend. Be sure to put a probe guard on the inside to protect it from your stirring. I calibrate with the digital thermometer I use in the kitchen for measuring meat temp. It's always within 1 degree when I go calibrate it.

MoreBeer | Thermometer (3'' Face x 6'' Probe)

Back