Drank my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave R

Reaction score
Well, I got home tonight from my week on the road and tasted my first glass of my very own homebrew.
I don't know how to describe it because I have nothing to compare it to except factory beer. BUT, it doesn't taste anything like any other beer I've ever had and it is GOOD! And what a kick! One 20 oz glass and nice buzz. I don't have a hydrometer yet so I don't know the alcohol content, but it's enough.
It was just a simple barley malt and sugar that I got at a health store. I really didn't know what I was doing as it was before I found this forum and read everything.
My next batch will undoubtedly be much better, but if not, it's still better than anything I've had before.

Guys....I'm hooked! I had so much fun brewing this and to actually have something that I can drink is just incredible!

Do any of you oldtimers still get such a thrill as I have now?

I'm going to be bottling up my first brew this weekend and soon will be sharing the same drink as you... Can't wait... I'm hooked on this stuff just playing with the fermenters and so fourth.

I can't wait until I get to that point, Bill. Now, for some better equipment. Oh Lord, here we go!!

Gauthierk, that's what's so neat about it. I totally enjoyed all the cleaning and cooking and then to have something in the end that I can actually drink is so cool!
My wife wasn't too keen with the idea at first but I got her to help bottle it and now she's putting in ORDERS for her and friends.

Another trip to the LHBS is in order now, probably next weekend. Come on down, Bill!

Dave R said:
!
My wife wasn't too keen with the idea at first but I got her to help bottle it and now she's putting in ORDERS for her and friends.
That is a positive step in the right direction. My wife thinks the whole thing is nothing but a pain in the a** so she tolerates it but isn't very supportive. I boil the wort outside so that helps some.

Rich, my wife has always been supportive of my idiosyncrosies, lol. I'm an avid DIYer and would much rather build something or make something myself than buy it. I've always been this way and she knows it. (We've been married 26 years) She just never knows what's coming next, but she says that's what makes living with me interesting. She never knows what's coming next!:D
She just didn't think this was going to work, for some reason. I guess I really didn't either.

Dave R said:
Rich, my wife has always been supportive of my idiosyncrosies, lol. I'm an avid DIYer and would much rather build something or make something myself than buy it. I've always been this way and she knows it. (We've been married 26 years) She just never knows what's coming next, but she says that's what makes living with me interesting. She never knows what's coming next!:D
She just didn't think this was going to work, for some reason. I guess I really didn't either.
All I can say is that you are a lucky man. :mug:

I'm new to home brewing as well so I can appreciate you enthusiasm.

Been having fun trying different things commercially available that
suit my tastes. Then make them:cross:

Also very grateful to the Sr. Members here that provide excellent
and almost immediate support.

It really is a thrill when you crack that first bottle of a batch and it tastes great.

Some batches are better than others, but overall, homebrew is kindof like sex: even when it's bad, it's still good.

homebrewer_99 said:
The thrill is still there with every batch.

Aye to that. Been a winemaker/ beermaker for just about 30 years. And let me tell you, I felt the same way just five minutes ago when i cracked open another bottle.
And if you have some one else tell you how much they like your wares,, its about 100 times that feeling.

Sorry guys I just couldn't wait, I just tried my latest brew right out of the primary, I was racking it out to the secondary and had to sample it,
even that was great, can't wait till it's done and carbonated.
This hobby has the best rewards you can imagine.
I'm not bragging here, it's just that I'm still amazed at the fact that I can make such good beer....., I quit drinking beer over 30 yrs ago because I couldn't get good beer( I was in Germany for 3 1/2 yrs), now my only fear is becoming an alcoholic......LOL yeah right.

well my first batch tasted like [email protected] kegged it for 2 weeks and went to test it and there was no pressure and tasted like it had been left out for week and was flat as a witchs tit..........god damn awfull...i just hope my second batch that i just bottled is better

dangermouse said:
well my first batch tasted like [email protected] kegged it for 2 weeks and went to test it and there was no pressure and tasted like it had been left out for week and was flat as a witchs tit..........god damn awfull...i just hope my second batch that i just bottled is better

How much CO2 pressure on the keg and what Temp??

Enquiring minds want to know!!

:mug:

Mudd said:
How much CO2 pressure on the keg and what Temp??

Enquiring minds want to know!!

:mug:
room temp 60's ish and there wasnt no pressure gauge on the keg "kingkeg toptap" it was just i didnt seal it proper with the right amount of vaseline,u really have to screw the lids on these things its untrue otherwise they wont carbonate

Latest posts

Back