Late extract addition and larger boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurleyps

Reaction score
Just got into all this and am loving everything. I want to brew the AHS Belgian Wheat. I have two questions.

1. What is the benefit of doing late extract addition? When and how much should I add late?

2. I can't do a full boil yet, (hopefully I'll get a bigger brew kettle soon!) Should I stick to a 2 gallon boil or should I boil as much as I can? (I can fit about 4 gallons and still avoid a boil over)

I know these issues have probably been addresses hundreds of times, thanks for supporting the new guys!

1. Late addition of your malt extract will give you a lighter color for your finished beer. Add about 3/4 or 2/3 when you have about 15 minutes left in the boil.

2. Boil as much as possible I would say. Partial boils impose limits as to how well the hops can be utilized and possibly have other effects as well.

Here's an article I threw together several weeks ago if you want to learn more about late extract additions.

A larger boil is almost always better.

Cheers!
Brad

Just read the article. Thank You. Are there any types of beer that you would not want to do a late extract addition?

One more question.

Does anyone know any tricks for marking gallon increments on a glass carboy? (Again, I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find a great answer!)

Latest posts

Back