Posting Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheesefood strikes again!

I wish people would use the rating system more, or leave more comments if they've brewed a recipe. Right now there are 1 or 2 recipes at the top of each section with 4 stars and none of the others are even rated.

That rating thing is new

The rating (with the stars) is not new- it's been here at least as long as I have!

You know, it would be very helpful to others if we posted our experiences with recipes that may or may not have worked. I wouldn't be very happy to make a recipe that looked good to me, and find out that 10 people HATED it but were too nice to post any criticism.

In the case of the example shown, there would be no need to say much more than, "This beer definitely didn't turn out for me. I think the cumin was a bad idea and won't be making it again. I don't recommend this recipe." I think that if we're willing to post a recipe, we must be willing to accept some constructive criticism. Just like the rest of the forum, though, no personal attacks would be permitted. I bring that up because I also made a recipe that didn't turn out. I wanted later to say, "WTF is the matter with you????? I was a noob and you let me make this!"

I'll be the first to fess up, I've never really used the star-based rating system. I have my view set to 40 posts per page, so it's a LOT of scrolling up to get to it. I don't know how much phpBB allows customization of the bottom of a page, but I'd LOVE some redundant links -or- a link To The Top or something.... It'd encourage me to use those features much more....

+1 to posting back even if a recipe is not good. I can't think of anyone who would get upset about a post like Yooper described, in which you simply say that "This recipe did not work out well for me and I don't recommend it" because you're not insulting the person, you're just being honest and sharing your experience.

I'll try to use the stars more often.

I think it's a good idea to not only post that you didn't like the recipe but also why. As in, "The cumin made the beer taste like chili," or some such. That way it's not like getting a "C" on a paper and not being told why. It's better to know that it was because the paper was supposed to be on moirés and you wrote about eels.

Any Hoegaarden clone that needs to age for 6 months before it's drinkable...well...that should tell you something. :D

I'm not really big into posting recipes so...meh...:p

Yeah that was posted in a different thread not his recipe thread. I found that After I brewed it.:mad:

As for the stars, I have never seen that button before so I figured it was new. In fact it took me a few minutes to find it today. lol

I'll post in the recipe thread later tonight, I'm about to walk out the door. :tank:

Back