Help with Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
i am brewing a Canadian Ale today. I am shooting for a light, golden color for this brew and would like to hear about any tips/tricks you guys use for getting the lighter colors.
(the only real reason i am trying to do this is because it seems to be more difficult to get friends to try the beer when it is a darker color. i constantly get the "i don't drink dark beer" comment) i personally love dark beer, but want to try the lighter colors also, to round out my experiences.

do a search for Late Extract Addition

it helps keep the extract from darkening up so much. assuming you're also doing partial boils (like 2 gallons) it'll also increase your hop utilization, so you need to re-calculate your bittering hop addition so you don't over do the IBU's for the style.

other ways include doing partial mashes and only using Extra light DME. or going all grain.

To add to what Malkore said- I'd also boil as much water as possible. when you boil like two gal- its hard to get anything lighter than amber colored beer.(in my own experiences)
can't give your an educated answer on the fruits and spices.

fruit and spice change the color unless its a clear fruit.

however you don't boil fruit.

Serve in a narrow, taller glass like a pilsner glass
IM389655.gif

razyrsharpe said:
(the only real reason i am trying to do this is because it seems to be more difficult to get friends to try the beer when it is a darker color. i constantly get the "i don't drink dark beer" comment)

Next time you get that comment, ask your friend if that's because he's afraid it will stain his panties. You probably won't have the same problem for long. :fro:

TL

TexLaw said:
Next time you get that comment, ask your friend if that's because he's afraid it will stain his panties. You probably won't have the same problem for long. :fro:

TL

LOL! that is one i will definately use in the future! thanks. i have always been a fan of the "shame them into action" philosophy!

Back