Abita Pecan Harvest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
Anyone?

Brewed with real Louisiana Pecans. Interesting. Definitely not an over whelming nut flavor which is a good thing. Less nutty than beers that don't claim to use any flavoring at all. It is a good beer and the slight nut flavor kind of adds to it.

Anyone else notice a distinctive smell to Abita beers? Not bad at all. Maybe a finishing hop they use, maybe a malt, maybe its the water.

I really like Abita. It is the first micro brew that I ever had and reminds me of my days in Louisiana. We can get the regulars and specialties here but not the seasonal or selects. I miss the Wednesday nights at the Bull Dog in NO enjoying a pint of Abita Select.

I have not had the Pecan, but have heard it's pretty good.

Have you ever had Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan? I've only heard about that one too..

As far as Abita is concerned, I cannot stand Purple Haze.

No I have never had anything from Lazy Magnolia. I am going to try to make there the next time I head to LA.

I am not a fan of Purple Haze either, tastes like cough medicine.

Fresh Turbodog from a keg is awesome. It really looses its flavor in the bottle.

I had some at the brewery...I assume it was very fresh. I must of had a lot because about half way through the tour I was wasted.

If you think Abita's Pecan was good, you need to do yourself a favor and try our Southern Pecan. It's the original.

Check this out.

:mug:

Spyk'd said:
If you think Abita's Pecan was good, you need to do yourself a favor and try our Southern Pecan. It's the original.

Check this out.

You should get some accounts in Atlanta.

Seriously though, can you send kegs to bars out of state with little legal hassle? The Brick Store in Decatur, GA has a draft reserved for limited addition and love to fill it with regional craft beer. I know I would buy some!

Beerrific said:
Anyone?

Anyone else notice a distinctive smell to Abita beers? Not bad at all. Maybe a finishing hop they use, maybe a malt, maybe its the water.

Uh, well let's put it this way, I tried Abita's Strawberry Blonde (was making a strawberry blonde and wanted to compare). That is the ONLY beer i've found that has actually disgusted me from the smell... It smelled like vomit... Probably just the Blonde but i'm reluctant to try any more of their beers.

It is a lot less pecan-y than the strawberry is strawberry-y.:drunk:

But, I liked the Strawberry Harvest Ale.

Beerrific said:
It is a lot less pecan-y than the strawberry is strawberry-y.:drunk:

But, I liked the Strawberry Harvest Ale.

I didn't mind the strawberry flavor in the beer, it was just after the first nose full of VOMIT i couldn't bring myself to down the rest...

If you want a pecan beer I'd definitely check out Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan. The strange thing about that beer is that it has a final gravity of 1.018 and only 4% ABV.

It's almost like Abita gets off on making boring beer.

Slightly more sophisticated than bud light,
Dave

Beerrific said:
You should get some accounts in Atlanta.

Seriously though, can you send kegs to bars out of state with little legal hassle? The Brick Store in Decatur, GA has a draft reserved for limited addition and love to fill it with regional craft beer. I know I would buy some!

No, there would be more than a little legal hassle with what you are suggesting and actually the term "bootlegging" comes to mind. We are going strong into Alabama though, maybe a road trip?

Sorry, best I could do. The bottles should take off by the end of the year (end of November, hopefully) so we'll all keep our fingers crossed.

Wow! As a fairly new brewer, I never thought of that. Pecans or almonds would probably be good in a beer.

I have some almond extract that I use to make pancakes. It adds a real nice kind of nutty, kind of cherry flavor. I bet it would be real good in beer. I am thinking that the oil in the fresh nuts might not work as well as extract.

Spyk'd said:
No, there would be more than a little legal hassle with what you are suggesting and actually the term "bootlegging" comes to mind. We are going strong into Alabama though, maybe a road trip?

Sorry, best I could do. The bottles should take off by the end of the year (end of November, hopefully) so we'll all keep our fingers crossed.

Damn, oh well. Maybe someday. I do actually go to Alabama occasionally, but when I go I am usually visting family in a dry county:drunk:

Abita Amber is the nectar of the gods! I have kegs of it shipped to Maryland for summer crawfish boils.

The pecan ale is very interesting. I like the way the pecan sneaks up on you in the finish.

Back