Help sourcing BK element power controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anicola

Reaction score
I have a 10 gal BK with 220v 4500 watt heat element. Simple manual system no PIDS , pumps or HERMS. i need to source a device (rheostat?) with which i can dial down the amount of current to heater element to maintain a good rolling boil.
Looking for cost effective solution. My only thought is some sort of electric range element controller. Any help would greatly appreciated

Google "PWM". You'll need to get a 25 amp SSR (solid state relay) as well and a power source for the PWM. Usually an old cell phone charger will work.

Hack the cell phone charger to power the PWM. The PWM connects to the control side of the SSR. One leg of the 220v goes through the SSR then on to the element.

Since PWM's typically don't go 100% on or 100% off, unless you get one with a potentiometer with a power switch built in, you'll want to put in a switch for the element to ensure you don't dry fire it.

turns all the way up or down

CONTROL 001.JPG

Very nice.. Looks expensive.. Thanks stlbeer for the acronyms .. Can anyone give me a link to online supplier for a 25amp 220v SSR and a PWM to mate to it?

PSR-25 SSR - Newark # 97K7822 $44.65 posted links for all parts needed

it was a little bit bigger than the 4x4 jucntion box maybe 4x5", this all was very tight fight in a 4x4 box . I wanted 6x6x2 but could not find that size ..... my amp meter was big

Latest posts

Back