Anyone do a Brussels Black Ale yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nehoc

Reaction score
Ok, I'm not normally a fan of New Belgium beers (Fat Tire generally tastes like beer brewed from a Home Depot kit) but I have really been enjoying their Brussels Black Ale this spring. It's malty, roasty, stouty, but effervescent and refreshing at the same time.

Has anyone done a Black Ale all-grain recipe yet? I can't find much on the intarweb, and there are no recipes posted here or at Tastybrew that match up.

If someone with a more refined sense of taste than my own wants to deconstruct this beer, I'll brew the recipe and give it a test.

Any takers?

Nehoc

Are you talking about the 1554?

After tasting it, I've been researching clone recipes for it. There are a few out there. (Google) I'm going to attempt the one that was apparently in Zymurgy. This is the recipe, I’m going to follow:
New Belgium 1554 Clone

All Grain (5 gal)
• 8.0 lb - pale two-row malt
• 8.0 oz - 80L caramel Munich malt
• 8.0 oz - 55L crystal malt
• 4.0 oz - Belgium chocolate malt
• 4.0 oz - German Carafa malt
• 2.0 oz - black patent malt
• 1.5 oz - Willamette pellet hops, 4.2% a.a. 60 min.
• 0.5 oz - Kent Golding pellet hops, 5% a.a. 60 min.

I'm thinking, I'll mash a little warmer, 155F or so, to get the body and residual sweetness.

The big question is the yeast. According to new Belgium’s website: “The beer is fermented at relatively high temperatures using a European lager yeast that imparts a refreshing, zesty acidity.” The recipes I’ve found use everything from German lager to Belgian Ale to California Ale yeasts. I think I’m going to go with a German lager or Oktoberfest yeast and ferment at around 60F.

Thanks Raceskier, that recipe looks promising. The lager yeast is key. You might be right on the money with the oktoberfest/marzen yeast. That will leave enough of the malty character behind while providing enough esters to give it that kind of coca-cola spicy flavor it has.

I know what I'm going to try next batch...

Back