At stable FG, condition in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CthulhuDreaming

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to kegging but not brewing. I've got an ale in the primary that's at FG and has been stable since Saturday. Ordinarily, I'd leave it in the primary for a couple more weeks for conditioning and then keg / bottle.

However, right now I've got empty kegs, no free fermenters and have a couple beers on deck to brew. In other words, I have serious pipeline issues. I'd like to free up the bucket and get another batch going if I can. My other primary won't be free for about a month, and I'd rather not buy another if I don't need to, due to my limited storage situation.

I was thinking that I can rack it to a keg, burp it, and let it condition and clear a few more weeks, and then carb it. I am aware that if I do this, I'll have more sediment in the keg than I otherwise would and I can deal with that.

Any other issues with this approach?

Really the only drawback is just the stuff in the bottom of the keg. You'll get some out when you draw the first few pints, but there will be some around the dip tube. As long as you aren't carrying it around different places that won't get disturbed. I see no reason not to do this at all.

Dumb question. Usually one sets the keg on its bottom and the sediment settles out pretty evenly but what would happen if one were to set the keg at a 45 degree angle? Would the yeast sediment end up mostly at the edge of the keg? Could you then upright the keg carefully and leave the sediment at the edge away from the dip tube?

RM-MN said:
Dumb question. Usually one sets the keg on its bottom and the sediment settles out pretty evenly but what would happen if one were to set the keg at a 45 degree angle? Would the yeast sediment end up mostly at the edge of the keg? Could you then upright the keg carefully and leave the sediment at the edge away from the dip tube?

if you kept it at that angle when you served it, yeah, it would be okay. Tilt it
up, that sludge will slide. Just keep it upright and sacrifice the first pint of sludge to the beer god, or St Bridget.

I was thinking that I can rack it to a keg, burp it, and let it condition and clear a few more weeks, and then carb it. I am aware that if I do this, I'll have more sediment in the keg than I otherwise would and I can deal with that.

I do this all the time with no issues. The first couple of pours may be yeasty but it clears up after that.

Another option would be to cold-crash your beer prior to racking it to the keg. This will cause the yeast to drop out of suspension so you'll rack little or no yeast over.

Back