Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
First let me start with a quick story. I have been brewing since late 2006, starting with the infamous Mr. Beer given to me by the wife of my best friend who passed away to cancer that previous summer at the ripe age of 36. We both shared a affinity for stouts and he used to make some good stouts with that simple little barrel. Ever since then I have been expanding my knowledge and equipment. All this time, it has become a hobby for myself and my father who basically joined in when I started brewing. We brew together almost always and split the proceeds.

I am now up to all-grain brewing (although, I said I would never need to go all-grain because extract brewing was fine enough.) I have gone from a 3 gallon MLT to 5 gal MLT and thinking now I need a 10 gal MLT. I have gone from a 3 gallon brewing pot to 10 gallon brewing pot. I'll never go any higher, right!?! :drunk:

That being said, we bottle all our beer. We started with regular 12 oz. bottles with caps and have gradually increased size to the 16 oz. flip tops. Those are more convenient, but still annoying. Problems encountered are usually the carbonation type as we have never had a beer go bad due to not following good sanitation practices.

I am considering going the kegging route. It seems this is much quicker and carbonation is easier. However, this is where the dilemma comes in: how do you divide a keg?? What I mean is, since we split the proceeds, how would we keg? He has no place to keep a keg in the fridge and he wouldn't want to come for a visit each time he wants a beer. Also, he spends time away for months and usually takes a case or two of our beer with him.

Is there a solution to this dilemma?!?

Carb in the keg and then bottle off the keg. Do a search for BMBF and you'll find what you need.

You can keg it and then bottle half of it from the keg with a Bowie Bottler/Blichmann Beergun/ Biermuncher Bottle Filler. :mug:

this beer gun thing is interesting. how do you not lose carbonation when transferring carb'ed beer to bottles? Seems that could be a frothy mess.

As to 3 gallon kegs -- didn't know they existed, so that is definitely a plan.

used3gal.jpg

They're expensive new, like more than new 5 gallons. BUT Adventures in homebrewing gets used one every now and then and sells them for around 50 bucks a pop. You can always inquire as to when they'll get more in. http://www.homebrewing.org/Used-3-Gallon-Cornelius-Keg-Pin-Lock-_p_1592.html

They are sold out now, evidently.

Here's the new ones which are in stock.

this brings up another question: If one was to have a 3 gallon keg and it was all carb'ed up and at serving temperature...how difficult would it be to take this keg to a friends house and serve there? I mean, once it is carb'ed, does it have to be hooked up to something to pour the beer? (yes, I am an EXTREME newbie with kegs, not really knowing how they work.)

this beer gun thing is interesting. how do you not lose carbonation when transferring carb'ed beer to bottles? Seems that could be a frothy mess.

The BMBF can be a useful and very inexpensive homebrewing tool. Or it can make a frothy mess.

If your beer, and bottles, are chilled well and evenly, and if you pour slowly, and if your beer is carbed at the proper level, then using the BMBF is a practical joy.

However, if one of these things is not quite right, the bottle can fill with quite a lot of foam, and it can be frustrating.

I have used a few different modification with mine and had varying degrees of success. It's great for a few bottles now and again, and you can put up with the minor foaming in that case. But if I had gallons of bottles to fill, I'd look at a counterpressure bottle filler instead. They run from about $60 to just over $100.

TBH - I'd rather mix some sugar water in a bucket and just bottle the bottles if I were having to deal with gallons.

this brings up another question: If one was to have a 3 gallon keg and it was all carb'ed up and at serving temperature...how difficult would it be to take this keg to a friends house and serve there? I mean, once it is carb'ed, does it have to be hooked up to something to pour the beer? (yes, I am an EXTREME newbie with kegs, not really knowing how they work.)

You could do this with practically any keg. Depending on how much was going to be drunk, just place the keg in a tall kitchen trash can, add ice, and strap the regulator to the side. Stuff the hose into the ice to keep it all cold.

They even make small charging adapters that allow you to serve using BB gun CO2 bottles. Just pull the trigger to add a bit more pressure.

It seems to me Midwest has a thing that uses co2 cartridges on the top for just such a purpose. It won't carb the beer,but provide the needed pressure to serve it.

here is another question I've been meaning to ask on kegging: CO2 cost. What is typical cost for 5gal of beer to carb and then to serve? CO2 isn't something I've ever purchased, but I sure have exhaled my share. :)

Cost of CO2 is negligible once you get the tank, like on the order of a dollar a batch, if that.

here is another question I've been meaning to ask on kegging: CO2 cost. What is typical cost for 5gal of beer to carb and then to serve? CO2 isn't something I've ever purchased, but I sure have exhaled my share. :)

Hard to figure. I think a new 5# tank would cost around $100. Fills near me are about $16. You can normally get 4-7 tanks worth out of a fill, depending on how much you wast and if you have any leaks, etc.

A 20# tank is a little bit more expensive to buy, but the fills are only a few more dollars each, you you can make up the difference in a couple of fills. Plus you have to have a fridge to put the kegs in.

Back