Help with setting up SS false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 15" stainless steel false bottom for my 10 gallong SS pot. The FB is hinged and not domed. The bottom of my pot is flat. What would be the best way to set this up? Add feet to get it above the weldless valve? add some small spacers to ket it a bit off the bottoms but still lower thatn the spigot? What would be ideal for feet spacers?

Thanks.

I'd add some sort of spacer to lift it off the kettle bottom. As for above or below the spigot, I'd say it really doesn't matter however you need to think about a few things...

Too high and you have a lot of dead space (space where grains and water don't meet)
Too low and your dead space is minimal however does that affect the dip tube performance?
Spigot should have dip tube to allow you to get under the false bottom and suck every precious drop of sweet wort you can get...

It's so simple. Get some stainless steel bolts and nuts. Drill holes in four places and use double nuts to hold the false bottom to the bolts. Get slightly longer bolts so you have some adjustment.

I would be happy to build you a stand out of the same material. It is really cool design because it will add just a little more protection from stuff getting in your drain. I make the stands so they hold the FB up off the bottom of the kettle any height you need.
Shoot me a PM if your interested.
Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back