First use of blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrew

Reaction score
I am brewing my 4th batch of beer and on my last brew the airlock overflowed and got all gunked up so this time i decided to try using a blow off tube. What i did based on a posters recommendation was took my siphon tube and stuck it in the rubber gomet in my bucket top and the other end in a small pale of water. I have yet to see any bubbling or indication of fermentation in the bucket. Was this a good idea to try or should i put my air lock? Also is there a way i can tell when it starts fermenting i assume i should see some sort of bubbles in the bucket with water in it? Any advice is appreciated Thanks!

stick your good ear up next to the bucket. you should be able to hear the happy bubbles of fermentation.

Air lock bubbling isn't actually a reliable indicator of fermentation. The best way is to take hydrometer readings to see if the SG has changed.

If you stuck the hose too deep in a pale of water the co2 may have found a path of lesser resistance. Make sure it is just under the surface of the water and not any deeper, this will allow the co2 to flow out as easily as possible. If no activity it may be leaking at the grommet and you might try putting back your airlock to determine any activity.

After 4 batches you have a general idea how things should go but don't worry too much if there are no bubbles. More than likely if you think there should be some activity there is and the gas is just venting elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies I put my ear up to the lid and could hear fermentation going on in there

I also brought the water level down in the pale thats got the tube end in it now it bubbling like a fine tuned machine. Thanks again for your replies I really appreciate the help

Back