Apfelwein Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeballer

Reaction score
I am going to try the apfelwein recipe from EdWort, but my girfriend couldn't find the right apple juice at Sams Club today so we are going to try using non filtered apple cider, not from concentrate. I thought it wouldn't make a difference until I noticed it had some preservatives added: Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Bonzoate.

I also want to substitute a wyeast smack pack of Ale yeast that I already have on hand.

My question is will the preservative effect the yeast interaction and subsequently affect the quality of the finished product?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Baller,

My LHBS told me that the preservatives will kill the yeast, so I used the store brand apple juice without preservatives. I would definitely wait and make sure before you waste your time and effort. I could be wrong, but why chance it.

Cheers.

I made Ed's Apfelwein on Monday with Whitehouse Apple Juice...the only two ingredients on the label are apple juice and water. The yeast has taken off and everything seems to be going well, except for that sulfur smell. Stinky, but should subside in the next few days. SWMBO is not a happy camper with the carboy in the pantry!

Yuri_Rage said:
Ohh...the pantry. I don't think I'd get away with that! I prefer the guest bathtub for my carboys.

That's the second time today that I've heard of someone else using a guest bath for a fermentation room. I thought I was very clever when I decided to do that--I guess I'm not alone.:mug:

Flyin' Lion said:
That's the second time today that I've heard of someone else using a guest bath for a fermentation room. I thought I was very clever when I decided to do that--I guess I'm not alone.:mug:

Nope, not alone. I got my Apfelwein, IPA in keg and Red in the guest shower as well. Weizen will be there in a week (in ferm chiller currently)

Back