Big Stout Pitched On Yeast Cake - Need to lower FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
So I brewed an oatmeal stout that turned out to be a lot bigger than anticipated - 1.082. I had previously made a different stout with the Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale, so I just transfered the new beer onto that yeast cake. In retrospective, I don't think it was enough yeast for my 1.082 gravity.
I fermented around 64º, and it took about 24 hrs to see noticeable signs of fermentation. And even then it was not as violent as some other beers I pitched on other cakes. Fermentation lasted about 3 days and then stopped flat. So it has been a week since brewing and I checked the SG today - 1.029.
Not low enough for me. I know it might drop a couple more points over time, but what else can I do to drop this gravity? Pitch more yeast? Could I pitch a different yeast?

You wont always see a krausen after the bulk of the fermentation is done. The yeastie beasties are still workin. Give em time. The last parts are the hard part. They're tired, full, done reproducing, and now they gotta eat the leftovers. It may not look terribly active, but stuff's still happening.

Remember also, not every ferment is the same. Some never produce anything you would call 'active' but still get the job done.

You know the yeast are in there, you know they are working. One week is way to early to freak out over .01 to .015 points of gravity. It could EASILY come down that far in a few weeks.

Stick the fermenter in the back of the closet and forget about it for a while.

brew another, smaller beer to keep your mind off it!

And, of course, have another homebrew to take the edge off.

How long did you aerate the new wort?

One thing for sure, if you racked directly onto the other yeast cake you had enough yeast for ANY beer.

We aerate really well after chilling in the kettle by stirring/whipping with a spoon, then we run the wort through the kettle faucet into a metal mesh sieve, then into a funnel into the carboy. Afterwards, we shook it for about 5-10 min. It was foamy - trust me.

We racked the other beer off the yeast cake about an hour before pitching the new beer on top.

The good news is the sample I did take tasted pretty darn good!

Try rousing the yeast a bit. Just pick up the fermenter and twist it a few times to stir up any yeast that's settled on the bottom. That's usually good for at least another couple of points.

I can't imagine the beer being too big for an entire yeast cake. You most likely overpitched rather than underpitched. Rouse that puppy and warm it up a touch, like they say.

TIME! I just bottled a beer last week that showed signs of fermentation for five weeks, and it started out around 1.082. Granted, that's a bit long for this beer, but it happens.

agree with most of the above................If a yeast cake isnt enough yeast...no amount of yeast will work. rouse that bad boy and raise the temp a tad and then wait for nature to take its course.

Strange that it took 24 hours to see activity, when I pitch on a cake it is fermenting in a couple hours or less. Anyway just warm it up and give it some time. I was listening to the Jamil podcast on Barleywine today and he said to ramp it up to 70 near the end of fermentation to help attenuation.

OTOH my oatmeal stouts always finish high, there are a lot of long chain dextrins that the yeast just can't eat.

Update: I checked the gravity yesterday and it was still the same as a week before 1.029. This was after gently rousing and warming it up to upper 68-70º. Another brewer told me to try boiling up a teaspoon of yeast nutrient in half Cup of water for 15 mins, then throw that in the beer. Do you think that would help? I also raised the temp further into the low 70s.

Back